At least 12 people have been killed and 50 wounded in a car bomb blast in eastern Baghdad, police and medics say, in an attack claimed by the armed group the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL).
Turkey has dismissed more than 6,000 people and ordered the closure of dozens of associations under the state of emergency imposed after the failed coup in July, in a purge that showed no sign of slowing.
More than 100,000 people have already been suspended or sacked so far in a crackdown on those alleged to have links to coup plotters while dozens of media outlets have been shut down.
ISIL members attacked an Iraqi police checkpoint near the southern city of Najaf, killing seven policemen as government forces in the north made more gains against the fighters in Mosul, their last major stronghold in the country.
Five years since the conflict began, more than 450,000 Syrians have been killed in the fighting, more than million injured and over 12 million Syrians - half the country's prewar population - have been displaced from their homes.
In 2011, what became known as the "Arab Spring" revolts toppled Tunisian President Zine El Abidine Ben Ali and Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak.
Twelve civilians are reported to have been killed in a Saudi-led coalition air strike in north-western Yemen.
Residents and an official said the victims were travelling in a pick-up truck that was targeted in the Hiran district of Hajja province.
They had been heading to a local market, according to the residents.
There was no immediate comment from the coalition, which is fighting the Houthi rebel movement in a bid to restore the internationally recognised government.
The coalition says it does not target civilians, but the UN says air strikes have caused the majority of the more than 4,125 civilian deaths recorded since the conflict in Yemen escalated in March 2015.
Wednesday's incident comes two days after a 48-hour cessation of hostilities ended.
Both sides accused each other of repeated violations of the truce, which brought a brief respite from air strikes for residents of the rebel-controlled capital, Sanaa.
Fighting continued in and around the south-western city of Taiz throughout the weekend, however, and on Tuesday clashes there reportedly left 11 people dead.
Military officials said pro-government forces had repelled an attack on Taiz's western outskirts by Houthis and allied security personnel loyal to former President Ali Abdullah Saleh.
The International Committee of the Red Cross expressed alarm on Tuesday at the situation in Taiz, where some 300,000 people have been under siege by rebel forces for more than a year.
"Sniper fire and indiscriminate shelling has trapped civilians. Dead bodies are in the streets and people are unable to attend to their most basic needs. The situation is desperate," said the ICRC's head of delegation in Yemen, Alexandre Faite.
Mr Faite added that the main hospitals in Taiz had reported receiving an average of 200 wounded in three days. Many patients were suffering from blast injuries and had to have limbs amputated.
A barrel bomb killed a family of six in rebel-held eastern Aleppo early on Sunday and rebel shelling took the lives of eight children at a school in the west, as one of the heaviest government bombardments of Syria's civil war continues.