fbpx

Kuwait identifies suicide bomber as Saudi citizen

BY: Aljazeera
Kuwait identifies suicide bomber as Saudi citizen

Kuwaiti authorities say they have identified the suicide bomber of a Shia mosque as a Saudi citizen.

The suicide bomber, who led an attack on Imam Sadiq mosque in al-Sawaber neighbourhood that left 27 people dead, was identified as a Saudi citizen, Kuwait's interior ministry said on Sunday.

Fahed Suleiman Abdulmohsen al-Gabbaa entered Kuwait City on Friday morning, the same day of the attack, through Kuwait international airport.

Authorities also arrested the owner of the house where the suicide bomber was staying, the ministry confirmed on Sunday.

The owner of the car that drove the bomber was also arrested and a search is under way for the driver, Kuwait's state news agency reported on Saturday.

Police said they were questioning a number of suspects with possible links to the bombing.

Quick identification

Mohammed Jamjoom, reporting from Kuwait City, said authorities have been very quick to try to identify the people behind the attack and try to arrest them.

"The driver and the owner of the vehicle that had been used in that horrific mosque attack on Friday were arrested within hours of the bombing. Police have said that several suspects have also been detained and are being questioned," he said.

"This is clearly a push by the Kuwaiti authorities to let the region and the world know that they are trying to protect Kuwaitis.

"We know that the country is on a hightened state of alert and security forces have been placed on this hightened state of alert - and not just the land borders but also maritime borders have been secured".

The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) group claimed responsibility for the bombing, which was Kuwait's worst attack in years and the first on a Shia mosque.

In a message posted on a Twitter account known to belong to the group, ISIL claimed the blast was the work of a bomber wearing an explosive vest.

Thousands of Sunnis and S