The Commissioner of the Commission on Human Rights and Administrative Justice (CHRAJ), Mr Joseph Whittal, has called for a change in the behaviour of police officers.
"The uniform is an emblem of trust and confidence. If you use it to take advantage of the public and extort from them, then the public will lose trust in the service," he said.
Mr Whittal was speaking in an interview with Graphic Online on the beating of a police officer by a "
He said a fundamental change was needed in the police service for the public to regain its confidence in the institution.
- Related stories
- ‘Trotro’ driver, mate arrested for assaulting
- How a
trotrodriver and his conductor resisted a police arrest (VIDEO)
- 10 Police officers assault 3 Ghanaian Times journalists
Policeofficer who led assaulton Ghanaian Times journalists identified Policeassault on Ghanaian Times reporters ‘barbaric’ - GJA
- Police/military brutalities on journalists; No prosecutions since 2006
GJAcondemns police brutalities on Joy News Reporter
- Court condemns police brutalities against accused persons
- President Mahama directs probe into police brutalities against demonstrators
- Probe ‘brutalities’ - Speaker tells IGP