Zylofon Cash PL: Yacouba’s brace sink Aduana

BY: Daniel Kenu
Police personnel shielding the visibly terrified referees to safety after being pelted by some irate Kotoko supporters at halftime. Picture: Emmanuel Baah
Police personnel shielding the visibly terrified referees to safety after being pelted by some irate Kotoko supporters at halftime. Picture: Emmanuel Baah

Kumasi Asante Kotoko striker, Songne Yacouba, was the toast of the club’s supporters yesterday after he scored twice to ensure his side managed a deserved 2-1 victory over defending league champions, Aduana Stars, at the at the Baba Yara Stadium in Kumasi.

The Burkinabe, who increased his goal tally to four in as many appearances for the Porcupine Warriors, saw his effort ensure a fifth place finish at the end of the first round of the Zylofon Cash Premier League.

Useful links Ghana Politics | Ghana Celebrity News | News in Ghana

However, the match did not end without incident as irate fans of Kotoko went wild, pelted match officials with missiles and prevented them from entering the dressing room after the first half, in protest against his performance in yesterday’s match. The fans were angered by the abysmal performance of centre referee Issaka Afful and decided to go wild with security personnel looking on helplessly as the match officials were literally held hostage on the pitch.

But the unruly behaviour of the fans and the lack of control by the police officers were not the only taking points of the match.

Yacuoba's immaculate free kick in the seventh minute caught goalkeeper Joseph Addo wrong footed as he watched in awe as the ball rolled over the goal line.

Ghana News Headlines

For today's latest Ghana news, visit Graphic Online headlines page Ghana news headlines.

And the Burkinabe was on point in the 47th minute with a personal effort to make it two for Kotoko before Bright Adjei pulled one back for Aduana in the 66th minute.

The seventh minute shocker against the run of play halted Aduana's early attack as they appeared well composed and resolute to carry the day.

But Kotoko were hungrier and attacked strategically and sat back most of the time to defend.

For current Ghana news | Ghana Business News | News in Ghana

Jordan Opoku's pile driver brought the stadium alive and woke Aduana up from their momentary sleep to take charge of the game.

And for the last 10 minutes of the first half, Kotoko were reeling under pressure as goalkeeper Felix Annan was stretched beyond his elastic limit.

Two minutes into the second half, Yakuba, sporting dreadlocks, made it 2-0 as the Kotoko fans celebrated.

But their joy was short-lived as Adjei reduced the tally in the 66th minute.

Aduana's talisman, Yahaya Mohammed, who was brought in at the last quarter of the match, nearly got he equalising goal for his side but his long drive outside the box from a free kick was thwarted by goalkeeper Annan.

Yesterday, Medeama SC earned an injury time equaliser against Accra Hearts of Oak in last Sunday’s Premier League encounter at the Cape Coast Stadium to earn a deserved 1-1 stalemate.

The draw helped Medeama maintain their position at the summit of the log but sunk the Phobians from 12th place to just a position above the relegation bracket.

The Phobians took the lead through Abubacar Traore in the 37th minute and were close to winning their first league game in four matches before Tahiru Awudu denied them of victory with an equalising goal three minutes into added-on time.

Debutants Karela United ended the first round in a respectable position as they moved from fourth place to second after a 2-1 win over Inter Allies at Nzema-Anyinase, as AshantiGold dropped to the third position after losing by a lone goal to Berekum Chelsea.