Man arrested for murder

BY: Emmanuel Adu-Gyamerah & Biiya Mukusah Ali

A 37-year old man, Lawrence Yire-Naa, said to have slashed the throat of a man identified only as Kwame, at Machine – Dor Krom near Yefri in Nkoranza North District of the Bono East Region last Sunday March 17 has been arrested.

Yire-Naa bolted and went to hide in the bush, but the youth searched and smoked him out the following day at Nadowli, a farming community near Yefri and handed him over to the police.

The cutlass believed to have been used by the suspect to murder Kwame, was still in his possession when he was arrested.

The youth handed him over to the Busunya District Police Commander, DSP C. K. Dogbatse who had gone to the village searching for the suspect.

The Brong-Ahafo Regional Police Public Relations Officer, Chief Inspector Augustine Kingsley Oppong told Graphic Online that the brother of the suspect, Suglo Yire-Naa, accompanied by the Assemblyman of the area, Mr Yakubu Seidu and three others reported the incident to the police at Yefri.

Suglo Yire-Naa told the police that the suspect was sick, and that the family invited him to the village where he was alleged to have committed the crime.

Chief Inspector Oppong said after they had a meal, they retired to bed, explaining that the suspect and the deceased, who also stayed in the same house, were all lying on a wooden bench in the yard.

Ghana News Headlines

For latest news in Ghana, visit Graphic Online news headlines page Ghana news page

He said later that night at about 9:00pm, the wife of the senior brother of the deceased woke him up to inform him that she went out and saw Kwame lying on a bench with a deep cut on his neck.

Chief Inspector Oppong said they rushed out to only see the deceased lying on a bench with a deep cut suspected to be a cutlass wound on his neck.

He explained that the suspect was nowhere to be found, explaining that the police visited the scene and saw the lifeless body of Kwame lying sideways on his right side on a bench with a deep cutlass wound on his neck.

Chief Inspector Oppong said the body has been taken to the Techiman Holy Family Hospital for preservation and autopsy.

According to him, police mounted a search for the arrest of the suspect to assist investigation until he was found out by the youth and handed him over to them.