Driver whose car was seized by police at Akroso was shot twice

BY: Graphic.com.gh
The late Prince Kobina Kumi
The late Prince Kobina Kumi

Preliminary investigations by the Eastern Regional Police Command into the suspected murder of the 34-year old aircraft technician with Africa World Airlines (AWA), Prince Kobina Kumi, has revealed that he was shot twice, in his jaw and his chest.

Prince Kobina Kumi, who was on his way from Accra to visit his mum at Asuboa in the Eastern region for the Easter festivities was initially arrested by the police at Akroso for drink-driving.

Useful links Ghana Politics | Ghana Celebrity News | News in Ghana

He was found dead on Monday between Akroso and Asuboa with bullet wounds after the police seized his car over suspected drink-driving.

Related: PIPS investigates death of driver whose car was seized by police

According to the Eastern Regional Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Ebenezer Tetteh, investigations are still ongoing to unravel the mystery behind the killing.
“Preliminary investigations at the scene of the crime indicated that he was shot on the jaw and the chest, and he was left at the scene where he was found on Monday,” he said.


Useful links Ghana news | Ghana Business News | News in Ghana

Meanwhile, the body has been transferred from the Eastern Region to the Police Hospital in Accra for autopsy.

“The reason why the body was conveyed there was to preserve it and have the post-mortem done,” ASP Tetteh explained.

Meanwhile, the driver who was said to have conveyed the deceased to complete his journey after his car was seized, is still in police custody assisting with investigations.

for current Ghana news | Ghana Business News | News in Ghana

ASP Tetteh said “the driver is a material witness and he is assisting us in the investigations. If anything comes up which is incriminating which connects him to the offence we are investigating, that is murder, it is then we will move and charge him.”

ASP Tetteh was not clear on whether the driver had been arrested or was willingly in police custody.

“A statement has been taken from the driver, and in due course, he will be granted police enquiry bail,” he told Citi News when probed on the matter.

Accusation of police culpability

When the story of the killing first emerged, the family of the deceased accused police at Akroso of having a hand in the death of the technician.

The family claims the deceased was prevented from boarding any other vehicle after his car had been seized, though the police maintain he used some form of public transport and arrived at his destination before he was found dead.

The Oda Municipal Police Commander, Superintendent Samuel Ntosoh, also said the police had tried to detain the deceased till he was sober enough to drive home.

But the deceased refused this offer, according to Supt. Ntosoh.

The Inspector General of Police [IGP], David Asante Apeatu, acting upon a petition by the family of the deceased to investigate the matter, has since ordered the Police Professional and Standards Bureau (PIPS), to probe the matter.

credit: Citifmonline