fbpx

Three remanded for allegedly burning down family house

BY: Joycelyn Kyei-Baffuor

Three persons who allegedly set a family house ablaze at Teshie in Accra have been remanded by an Accra Circuit Court.

The three pleaded not guilty to the crime and will reappear in the court presided over by Mr Prosper Gomashie on May 18, this year.

Facts of the case
The Prosecutor, Chief Inspector Samuel Ahiabor, told the court that the complainant, Clement Osekre, is a Fashion Designer who lives in the same area with the three accused persons, namely Ishmael Ashitey Oko, 33, a Mechanic; Joseph Armah Ashai, 30, and Daniel Armah Ashai, 34, (both fishermen).

On August 5, last year, the three accused persons and other accomplices in the presence of a witness in the case, Emmanuel Adjei Osekre, threatened to set Mr Osekre’s family house (“Agbawe Kotoko We”) ablaze and also inflict machete wounds on him while the Homowo festival was being celebrated at Teshie.

Emmanuel informed Mr Osekre about the threat on his life and property, and he subsequently informed some elders of his family.

In the evening of the same day, a second witness in the case, Ms Leticia Osekre, was in the family house when the accused persons came in with bottles filled with petrol, allegedly chased her out and set the house ablaze.

The prosecutor said the house and other valuables estimated at a cost of GH₵296,270.00 were destroyed by the fire.

On September 20, 2021, Mr Osekre reported the case at the Nungua Police Station and the accused persons were subsequently arrested and charged with unlawfully causing damage and conspiracy to commit crime, contrary to section 23(1) and 172 of the criminal and other offences act 1960.

The prosecutor told the court that the police was making efforts to apprehend the other accomplices who were currently at large.