VISA, Vivo Energy sign pact to enhance digital payments across 15 African markets

BY: Mabel Faith Tannor
library photos
library photos

VISA, the global payments technology company, and Vivo Energy, the company that markets and distributes Shell-branded fuels and lubricants in Africa, have signed a partnership agreement to provide digital payment services to consumers across 15 African countries, where both companies operate.

The partnership is geared towards growing digital commerce and offering more Visa acceptance points in selected sites across Vivo Energy’s network of Shell-branded service stations and convenience shops in Africa.

The Executive Vice-President, Vivo Energy, Mr David Mureithi, in a release issued in Accra today, said: “Vivo Energy and Visa share a common goal of helping consumers pay with confidence, transparency and security.

This partnership fits our overall strategy of offering innovative and convenient solutions to our customers, to help developing lasting relationships with them.

Through this alliance with Visa, we want to expand the range of services we offer to our customers and also allow them to pay in a simple and easy way at our Shell service stations.”

Ghana News Headlines

For latest news in Ghana, visit Graphic Online news headlines page Ghana news page

The VISA President for Sub-Saharan Africa, Aida Diarra, said: “We constantly strive to reduce reliance on cash, and encourage the development of a digital payments ecosystem for both individuals and businesses.

Our partnership with Vivo Energy aligns with the kind of collaborations we look for - those that will help extend our reach into Africa’s commerce ecosystem as it changes and grows, and that will provide mutually beneficial business opportunities.”

Cashless transactions

Digital cashless transactions will enable the customers not only to benefit from Vivo Energy’s high quality fuels, lubricants and services, but to also to be able to control and monitor their expenses. This partnership will enhance the customers’ experience by allowing them to enjoy the Visa payment technology.

It will offer them convenience, security and efficiency when they refuel, as well as when they purchase food, drinks, magazines or more in the shops and restaurants located in Shell stations.

The two entities are optimistic that this move will spur the uptake of cashless payments in an environment where cash is still widely used by consumers and merchants.

Research shows that almost 80 per cent of most retail transactions are in cash, while the other 20 per cent are mobile money and card transactions.