Legon Cities thump Ashgold to march on

BY: Kwame Larweh
Cities Jonah Attu Quaye shields the ball away from his marker
Cities Jonah Attu Quaye shields the ball away from his marker

Mid-table Legon Cities continue their impressive home record as they thump visiting Ashantigold (Ashgold) 2-0 at the El-Wak Stadium the Premier League yesterday.

Attacker Abdul Rahman's early strike in the 13th minute and Michelle Otu's spot kick in the 80th gave the home side a decisive victory and moved them far away from the relegation bracket.

On a rather hard turf which made ball control difficult for both sides, it was the host team who took the game as their talisman  Jonah Attuquaye paired with attacker Hans Kwofie to release Michael Ampadu but the midfielder fluffed the chance in the opponents' goal area.

In the 13th minute, a well-taken free kick by Legon Cities a few yards from the Ashgold goal area met the head of attacker Nasiru Moro who passed the ball to Rahman in penalty box to slot it home.

The home side continued the onslaught in search for more goals as they laid siege in the Ashgold half but the 'Soccer Miners' repelled the attack and used the flanks to attack their opponents.

Unfortunately, wingers Yaw Annor, Frank Frank Akoto and Amos Nkrumah failed to find the targets on the few occasions they had decent chances to score.

Back from recess Ashgold put more energy into their attack and harassed the Legon Cities defence in search of the equalising goals but their attackers lacked the finesse to put the ball at the back of the net. And the introduction of Kingsley Owusu and John Andoh failed to bolster the Ashgold attack as the home side handed on to their solitary lead.

Coach Maxwell Konadu's side came into the fray in the latter stages of the game as Attuquaye made it tough for the Ashgold defence with his deft touches and ball control. In one of his forays into the Ashgold area, he released fellow attacker Hans Kwofie whose attempt to square the ball to the intended target saw the ball hit the hand of Ashgold's Aliu Mohammed in the penalty box for a penalty.

The resultant kick was converted by Otu to give them the lead late into the game as they hanged on for victory to move up to the eighth position on the log.