The World Boxing Association (WBA) International Lightweight Title Holder, Emmanuel "Gameboy" Tagoe, has given an assurance of ending Ghana's five-year wait for a world title by demolishing Argentinian Fernando David Saucedo when they clash for the vacant International Boxing Organisation (IBO) World lightweight title on November 25 in Accra.
Tagoe, who is managed by Asamoah Gyan's Baby Jet Promotions, told Graphic Sports in an interview that his hardworking managers had presented him with a golden opportunity to follow in the footsteps of the legendary Azumah Nelson by unifying and dominating his division for many years.
"As you know, many Ghanaians have attempted to win a world title, but have been unable to, but I am a king, and I will end that wait," Tagoe assured at the launch of the bout dubbed "Fight of Destiny", yesterday in Accra.
He vowed that he was undaunted by the prospect of facing the vastly experienced 34-year-old who has been unsuccessful in two previous bids for a world title.
Ghana News Headlines
For latest news in Ghana, visit Graphic Online news headlines page Ghana news page
Saucedo lost the WBA Super World featherweight title by unanimous decision to Chris John in 2010 before the hard-hitting Rances Barthelemy defended the IBF World Super featherweight title against him on October 4, 2014, but he remains undefeated in eight bouts since that loss.
"On that day, I will revamp the sport of boxing as Ghanaians know it. I sent a lot of my guys to go for a world title, but they were unable to deliver, but Ghanaians should be ready and glad to watch me fulfil this national goal", said Tagoe, who is rated number 10 by the WBA in their lightweight rankings.
"I am not trying to downplay the exploits of guys such as Richard Commey and others who were unsuccessful in their title bids, all I am saying is that I am confident that the title will not leave the shores of Ghana after November 25 . This fight will be a stepping stone for me to dominate that division by winning the WBO, WBA and IBF world titles."
The Chief Executive Officer of Baby Jet Promotions, Samuel Anim Addo, disclosed that they had to part with about $300,000 to secure the rights to stage the bout for the IBO title at a venue likely to be the new boxing gym and arena which is under construction in Bukom.
"We are considering The Emporium in Bukom as a likely venue for the clash, but that is if it will be ready in time", Mr Addo said.
"As a promotions company, to get a world title, your budget should be at least $300,000.00, but I can't disclose the exact amount to the press”, he explained.
He also dismissed assertions that Baby Jet Promotions had been shielding Tagoe from tougher opponents, vouching for the pedigree of his latest opponent who had fought an astonishing 60 professional fights - losing three and drawing three times as an example.