Man kills pregnant wife, commits suicide

BY: Emelia Ennin Abbey
Man kills pregnant wife, commits suicide
Man kills pregnant wife, commits suicide

A man, who for over a month has been threatening to kill his pregnant wife, has finally executed his plan by stabbing her multiple times in their bedroom at Dobro, near Nsawam, in the Eastern Region.

After the brutal act, Kofi Avaga, believed to be in his early 30s, committed suicide by slashing his throat with the machete he used in killing the woman.

The wife, Irene Appiah, also believed to be in her late 20s, was found in a pool of blood in the bedroom.

The police said she was stabbed at dawn at the time their three children, whose ages were not immediately known, were sleeping.

Distress call

Confirming the incident, the Nsawam District Police Commander, Superintendent of Police, Mrs Marian Osei- Adu Owusu, said on Thursday, August 5, 2021, the Nsawam Police Patrol received a distress call that a man had murdered his wife and attempted to commit suicide at Dobro.

Consequently, the patrol team proceeded to the scene.

"When the police team arrived, the woman was seen dead in a pool of blood but the husband whose throat had been slashed halfway was still alive," Supt Adu-Owusu said.

She said the man was however pronounced dead when he was taken to the Nsawam General Hospital.

The bodies of the couple have since been conveyed to the Police Hospital morgue for preservation and autopsy.


Ms Adu-Owusu said preliminary investigations by the police established that Avaga had since July, 4, 2021 been threatening to kill Irene and their children.

The investigation indicated that each day, Avaga would sharpen a machete and frighten the woman that he would use it to kill her.

Sometimes he was said to have indicated that he would include their children as his victims.

The district commander added that a frightened Irene was said to have informed some neighbours in their community and she was advised to report the threat to the police.

However, the woman insisted that she was not in the position to report her husband to the police.

Irene also failed to heed the advice of other neighbours to vacate the room she shared with her husband.