I was contracted to kill J.B. Danquah-Adu — Daniel Asiedu

BY: Emmanuel Ebo Hawkson

Daniel Asiedu, the man accused of killing a former Member of Parliament (MP), Mr J.B. Danquah-Adu, is on a confession spree, claiming that he was contracted by some people to kill the parliamentarian.

In a startling confession before the Accra Central District Court on Wednesday, Asiedu. aka Sexy Don Don, alleged that he was contracted by some members of the New Patriotic Party (NPP) to kill Mr Danquah-Adu.

He further alleged that after his arrest, one of the supposed people who had hired him to assassinate the legislator visited him in detention and promised to reward him handsomely if he (Asiedu) accused members of the National Democratic Congress (NDC) of rather contracting him to kill Mr Danquah-Adu.

Asiedu also claimed that the supposed visitor promised to cater for all his needs immediately the NPP won the 2016 elections.

But, according to him, after that visit, he had not heard from his “contractors” and so he was ready to reveal their names.

Ghana News Headlines

For latest news in Ghana, visit Graphic Online news headlines page Ghana news page

Read also: J.B. Danquah-Adu’s autopsy report missing — Pathologist

Confession time

Mr Danquah-Adu, who was the MP for Abuakwa North on the ticket of the NPP, was murdered at his residence at Shiashie in Accra on February 9, 2016.

REGISTER: Graphic Business Stanbic Bank Breakfast Meeting

Asiedu and another man, Vincent Bosso, are facing charges of murder and abetment of murder, respectively, for the MP’s death.

 They are before the District Court for committal proceedings, after which the court will decide whether or not they have to stand trial at the High Court.

Police prosecutors were yesterday expected to inform the court if the Attorney-General’s Department was ready with its legal advice on the case.

Read also: Fresh charges levelled against JB’s killers

But even before the court proceedings began, Asiedu raised his hands that he had something to say, and then the confession followed.

Asiedu gave his confession in English, albeit not in the form one would consider perfect English.

The Presiding Magistrate, Ms Arit Nsemoh, inquired from him whether the confession was voluntarily or he had been coerced to make it, to which Asiedu answered that it was voluntary and that he wanted the truth to come out.

Ms Nsemoh further informed Asiedu that he (Asiedu) could only substantiate the claims during the trial, which would take place at the High Court.

Meanwhile, Bosso told the court that he knew nothing about the MP’s death, and that his continued incarceration had made his family abandon him.

Hearing continues on July 26, 2018.

Read also: J.B. Danquah-Adu's alleged killer is mentally unstable - Defense counsel tells court

Past confessions and denials

This is not the first time Asiedu has made a confession about the case.

On his first appearance before another district court in February 2016, he confessed that he had gone to Mr Danquah-Adu’s house to rob him, not to kill him, but, unfortunately, the robbery ended badly, leading to the MP’s death.

On March 14, 2017, Asiedu was committed by a district court, presided over by Mr Stephen Owusu, to stand trial at the High Court for the murder of the legislator.

During the committal proceedings, Asiedu, in a sudden twist, denied having any hand in Mr Danquah-Adu’s death.

According to him, certain people, led by his girlfriend’s uncle, whom he referred to as Kwame, intentionally lured him to the police station where he was arrested.

Kwame, he claimed, got him arrested because he (Asiedu) had a thriving business and Kwame was jealous of his success.


The legal process to bring Mr Danquah-Adu’s killers to book has already experienced many dramatic turns.

After their committal by the district court on March 14, 2017, the trial commenced at the High Court on April 28, 2017.

But, on May 29, 2017, the High Court, presided over by Mr Justice L.L. Mensah, acquitted the two accused persons after the A-G had filed a nolle prosequi to discontinue with the case.

Asiedu and Bosso were then rearrested, after which another committal proceedings at the district court, presided over by Ms Nsemoh, began.