David Beckham is reportedly offering Lionel Messi a lucrative deal
Lionel Messi (left) is expected to sign a mega deal with MLS side Inter Miami, co-owned by by British football icon David Beckham (middle)

Lionel Messi swerves Barca, Saudi deal for David Beckam's Inter Miami

Lionel Messi has confirmed that he will be moving to Inter Miami CF in a deal that reportedly includes an option for the Argentine to become a part-owner of the Major League Soccer (MLS) side. 

Advertisement

Much speculation has surrounded the 35-year-old's next move over the past few weeks, with Messi being heavily linked with a moves to both Saudi Arabia and Barcelona. 

But it appears he has finally settled on his decision, despite being reportedly offered a ginormous £2billion deal, that could have seen him join Saudi Pro League side Al-Hilal. 

The World Cup winner has also been heavily linked with a fairy-tale move back to his former side Barcelona, yet, amid financial difficulties at the LaLiga giants, Messi has instead opted for a move to Inter Miami

In an interview with Spanish media outfit, Mundo Deportivo he said: "I'm not going back to Barça, I'm going to Inter Miami."

Messi PSG
Lionel Messi won two Ligue 1 titles during his two-year spell at PSG

According to UK media outfit, Daily Mail, Messi, who won four Champions League titles with the Blaugrana and scored 672 goals in 778 games for the club, will be offered a lucrative contract with the MLS club, that could include deals with adidas. 

American sports media outfit, ESPN also reports that his deal with the American side includes an option that could see him become a part-owner of the football club and a slice of the subscriber revenues from Apple TV's MLS Season Pass. 

His father, Jorge, had reportedly met with Barcelona president Joan Laporte earlier this week, but it appears Messi did not want to return to his former club.  

Speaking on the rumours that he could return to Barcelona, the seven-time Ballon d'Or winner said: "I really wanted [to return to Barcelona], I was very excited to be able to return, but after having experienced what I experienced and the exit I had, I did not want to be in the same situation again: waiting to see what was going to happen and leaving my future in hand from another.

"I wanted to make my own decision, thinking about myself, about my family. Although I heard that it was said that LaLiga had accepted everything and that everything was fine for him to return, there were still many other things that had to be done.

"I heard that they [Barcelona] had to sell players or lower players' salaries and the truth is that I didn't want to go through that, nor take charge of obtaining something that had to do with all that." 

"I am also in a moment where I want to get out of focus a bit, think more about my family. As I was just saying, I spent two years at a family level that was so bad that I didn't enjoy it. I had the month that was spectacular for me for having won the World Cup, but removing that was a difficult stage for me."

Messi's trophy-laden Barca career
The Argentina maestro enjoyed a trophy-laden career at Barcelona, winning 32 major titles

After 21 years at the Spanish club winning 32 major title, Messi moved to PSG in 21 on a marquee deal that would see him ear £35-per-year. 

The 35-year-old had been left 'emotionally destroyed' by his departure from the LaLiga club, after it appeared the club could no longer afford to pay his wages, amid financial turmoil, which despite winning LaLiga this season, are still far from resolved. 

In response to the news, Barcelona have released a statement in which president Laporta wished Messi well at his new club. 

It reads: "On Monday, June 5, Jorge Messi, the player’s father and representative, informed Club President Joan Laporta of the player's decision to join Inter Miami, despite having been presented with a proposal from Barça, in consideration of the desire of both FC Barcelona and Lionel Messi for him to once again wear blaugrana.

"President Laporta understood and respected Messi's decision to want to compete in a league with fewer demands, further away from the spotlight and the pressure he has been subject to in recent years.

"Both Joan Laporta and Jorge Messi also agreed to work together to promote a proper tribute from Barça fans to honor a footballer who has been, is, and always will be beloved by Barça."

Linking up with his former Barca teammate, Neymar, Messi went on to return 32 goals in 75 games across all competitions for the Parisians, while winning Ligue 1 twice in his two-year spell at the club. 

His contract with the club is due to officially expire on June 30, but it had already been confirmed that he would be leaving the club.

Advertisement

Connect With Us : 0242202447 | 0551484843 | 0266361755 | 059 199 7513 |

Like what you see?

Hit the buttons below to follow us, you won't regret it...

0
Shares