Fire kills one in Sagnarigu, destroys six bedroom apartment

BY: Suweiba Yakubu

One person on Tuesday dawn died following a fire outbreak at Kpalsi, a community in the Sagnarigu District of the Northern region.

The deceased, identified as Ibrahim Sultan, a computer seller, was said to be sleeping in his room when the fire started at about 3:50 a.m.

Useful links Ghana Politics | Ghana Celebrity News | News in Ghana

The Assistant Chief Fire Officer in the Northern Region, Mr. Godwin Damalie, who confirmed the incident to Graphic Online in an interview said the deceased has been sent to the Tamale Teaching Hospital.

He said firefighters were dispatched to the scene following a distress call.

Mr Damalie said it took the fire service about 18 minutes to get to the scene due to the bad nature of road leading to the place and added that the fire was finally put off at about 6:45 am.

Ghana News Headlines

For today's latest Ghana news, visit Graphic Online headlines page Ghana news headlines.

He said the fire destroyed all the belongings of the 13 occupants of the six-bedroom apartment.

According to him, it was when the firefighters were “going through our investigation to find out the extent of damage, that we found one person dead in one of the rooms”.

Mr Damalie said although they are yet to establish the cause of the fire, information gathered from the tenants’ points to the fact that the fire might have been caused by the intermittent power supply in the area.

For current Ghana news | Ghana Business News | News in Ghana

He has, therefore, advised the residents in the region to always make sure all electrical appliances in their homes were put off before either sleeping or leaving their homes.