Late Dreams goal leave Kotoko stranded

BY: Beatrice Laryea
• Players of Dreams FC acknowledging cheers from their supporters after yesterday’s victory.
• Players of Dreams FC acknowledging cheers from their supporters after yesterday’s victory.

A 90th-minute goal by substitute George Dwubeng, powered Dreams FC to a 1-0 crucial win over visting Kumasi Asante Kotoko, in their Week Seven league fixture played at the Dawu Stadium yesterday.

Kotoko did all they could to at least earn a point in this game if not a win, but that injury time strike left them stranded and with no opportunity to fight back.

Dreams’ captain Leonard Owusu, adjudged the Man of The Match, gave Eric Gawu a pass from the midfield and Gawu quickly linked up with George Dwubeng on the wings who also worked his way through the Kotoko defence and fired home the ball to set the Dawu Park agog and claimed all three points as well as move to the fourth position on the league table with 11 points.

The match was one of uncountable chances, especially in the second half, but both teams squandered most scoring opportunities till the 90th minute when Dwubeng nailed it for Dreams.

Playing the 4-4-2 formation, Coach Paa Kwesi Fabin's charges outplayed Dreams and should have taken the lead, particularly in the first half, as they connected beautifully with their passes and build-up and created a series of opportunities, which got Dreams FC goalie, Isaac Amoako, busy but Kotoko had nothing to show for their effort.

Ghana News Headlines

For latest news in Ghana, visit Graphic Online news headlines page Ghana news page

On the 16th minute, Obed Owusu made an attempt at goal when he tapped the ball from the opponents’ box, but his effort was thwarted by goalkeeper Isaac Amoako, who produced some brave saves for Dreams.

Kotoko followed up with another attack on the 20th and 23rd minutes, through Frederick Boateng and Awudu Nafiu, respectively, but both went over the bar.

REGISTER: Graphic Business Stanbic Bank Breakfast Meeting

From recess, each side tried to have the edge, and it was Kotoko who made the first move, when Obed Owusu tapped the ball after receiving a cross from Prince Acquah. It missed though.

Feeling the pressure on his side, Coach Karim Zito made some changes, taking off Maxwell Arthur for George Dwubeng and Kwadwo Asamoah for Richard Addai, and that proved effective as it changed the rhythm of the game.

It was thus no surprise when the tables suddenly turned with Richard Addai and Eric Gawu joining forces upfront to pile pressure on goalkeeper Felix Annan. It was during one of such attacks that Gawu linked up with Dwubeng who connected home for the goal.

Any hope of Kotoko drawing even was dashed as moments later, referee Cecil Fletcher whistled for the end of the game.

Sharks expose Hearts

The inconsistent form of Accra Hearts of Oak this season continued as they suffered their second home defeat with a 1-2 loss to visiting Elmina Sharks in the Week Seven encounter of the Ghana Premier League at the Cape Coast Sports Stadium last Saturday.

Despite playing at home, Hearts conceded two goals in the first half, Daniel Obeng Crentsil setting up the first for Felix Addo and then scoring the second, thus compelling the Phobians to fight back in the second half to earn a consolation from Malik Akowuah.

Having won 3-1 against Wa All Stars on Match Day Six, the Hearts’ faithful had hoped the winning trend would continue, rather, they ended up with their tails in between their legs as they lost crucial points at home.

Right from the start, Sharks showed their intention of causing an upset as they harassed the Hearts goal area, and had their efforts paying off on the 25th minute with Felix Addo’s glancing header connecting a corner kick from Obeng Crentsil.

Instead of quickly recovering to assert themselves, Hearts showed their vulnerability which was fully exploited by Sharks as they increased the tally to 2-0 from a long range drive from Obeng Crenstil.

Danger looming, Coach Henry Wellington made some two quick changes during the recess as he brought on Akowuah for Fatau Mohammed and Winful Cobbinah for Selassie Bakai.

The changes proved to be a good tactical move, as the Phobians began to control the pace of the game and got rewarded on the 61st minute from an Akowuah powerful shot which goalkeeper Richard Attah was unable to save.

Hearts dominated the entire second half but failed to make it count in goals leaving Elmina Sharks to collect the maximum points.
Felix Addo was adjudged the Most Valuable Player of the match.