fbpx

Mahama condemns separatist acts in Volta Region

BY: graphic.com.gh
John Mahama
John Mahama

The flagbearer of the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC), John Dramani has condemned some separatist acts in the Volta Region.

According to the former president, Ghana is a sovereign republic hence no one has a right to claim part of the country.

“Ghana is a sovereign republic, no one can claim a part of Ghana. We cannot sit down and allow someone to come and take part of our country away. If everyone takes a piece of Ghana, what will be left? He questioned.
 
Addressing the chiefs and people of Jinijini as part of his Bono Regional tour on Monday September 28, 2020, Mr Mahama said the development must not be encouraged.

He added that the actions of the secessionist group could be dire for the country if copied by other ethnic groups.

He therefore called on all stakeholders to condemn the act and also help bring perpetrators to book.

He stressed that all must be done to safeguard the peace and tranquility in the country.

The call follows a series of attacks perpetrated by members of the Homeland Study Group Foundation in the Volta Region.

Background

The Homeland Study Group Foundation, a group championing the secession of parts of Volta and Oti regions, declared independence for the territory they call 'Western Togoland' on November 16, last year.

The leader of Western Togoland independence, Charles Kormi Kudzodzi, announced the separation of Western Togoland from Ghana after a meeting in the Volta Regional capital, Ho.

After that announcement, some members of the group were arrested after they were alleged to have engaged in activities to champion the cause of the group.

On December 30, 2019, the Northern Regional Police arrested 18 people suspected to be part of the separatist group.

The arrest followed intelligence that some members of the alleged separatist group from Kpassa were holding a meeting in a primary school in Bimbila, with the aim of recruiting some youth to assist in their secessionist activities.

A joint military and police team was then deployed to the scene to arrest them.

On December 1, last year, the police in the Upper East Region also arrested 10 people said to be connected to the secessionist group.

The suspects were rounded up in an operation in Tumu in the Sissala East District.

Recent attack

The secessionist group last Friday attacked two police stations at Aveyime and Mepe, and seized 10 AK47 assault rifles after breaking into the police armoury.

They ransacked the police stations, released inmates in custody, physically assaulted and injured police officers.

The group, subsequently, blocked major roads to the Region and burnt car tyres.

However, a joint police/military enforcement team rescued the police officers who were held hostage.

The security agencies have so far arrested 31 members of the secessionist group, airlifted to Accra and in the custody of the Bureau of National Investigation (BNI) and the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) of the Ghana Police Service were being interrogated.

One person died and several others injured during the exchange of fire between the security agencies and the secessionist group.

Some people believed to be members of the group also burnt down an Intercity STC mini bus in Ho amid firing of gun shots on Tuesday September, 2020.

They reportedly also attacked some drivers who were spending the night in the bus terminal.

Related articles