Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) candidates across the country started writing their cancelled papers Monday, amid tight security at the various centres.
As early as seven in the morning, some of the candidates had reported at the examination centres, geared up to take their first paper, English Language 2, which began at 9 a.m.About 9:30 a.m., some centres were yet to start the paper because there was a delay in the delivery of the question papers.
In all, five papers — English Language 2, Integrated Science 2, Religious and Moral Education (RME) 2, Mathematics 2 and Social Studies 1 & 2 — were to be written yesterday, Monday, July 29 and today, Tuesday, July 30.
The West African Examinations Council (WAEC) cancelled the five papers after it emerged that they had leaked and scheduled June 29 and 30, 2015 for the candidates to re-write them.A total of 438,030 candidates sat for the cancelled papers at 1,546 centres across the country.
Generally, the candidates demonstrated high spirits at most of the centres visited yesterday.
In a chat, some of the candidates said they had been affected by the cancellation, as they found it difficult to understand the reason behind WAEC’s action.
The two Deputy Ministers of Education, Mr Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa and Mr Alex Kyeremeh, toured some examination centres in parts of the Greater Accra, Volta and Eastern regions.
At the Okuapemman Senior High School Centre in the Eastern Region, 376 candidates, including those from the Akropong School for the Blind, sat for the examination.
Briefing the media after a tour of the centres, Mr Kyeremeh expressed satisfaction with the attitude of the students towards the rewrite of their papers.
He expressed optimism that the students would do very well, judging from their demeanor.
“In spite of the cancellation of your papers, I want you to know that all is not lost. You can make it by preparing adequately for the rest of your papers,” he said.