Below is a statement issued by the Ghana Police Service explaining why they picked up the national chairman of the People's National Contention (PNC) on Saturday over a planned rally in support of calls for political and electoral reforms in Togo.Follow @Graphicgh
POLICE STATEMENT ON INCIDENT AT KAWUKUDI PARK
1. Nineteen people were arrested this morning by the Accra Regional Police command for unlawful assembly and engaging in acts that were likely to occasion the breach of the peace.
2. Members of the group led by Mr. Bernard Mornah were arrested at the Kawukudi park, Nima, Accra where they assembled to embark on a demonstration against the advice of the Police.
3. The leader of the group Mr. Bernard Mornah had earlier on served notice to the police of their intention to embark on a demonstration in support of some Togolese nationals in Ghana who have been agitating for what they termed a change in government in Togo.
4. The police initially indicated their preparedness to provide the required security for the demonstration but based on an information received by the police that another group had planned to disrupt the demonstration as well as other operational exigencies the police had to handle, the leader of the group Mr. Bernard Mornah was advised to suspend the demonstration but he failed to heed to the advice and went ahead to organize the group who assembled at Kawukudi park ready to embark on the demonstration.
5. The police administration is once again appealing to persons or group of persons who intend to embark on any public event especially during this Christmas period to cooperate with the police to ensure the security of the demonstrators as well as members of the public.
ASSISTANT COMMISSIONER OF POLICE