Graphic Online

Graphic Online 

No arrest yet in Tamale Ghana Highway Authority attack

BY: Samuel Duodu
The offices of the GHA remain closed as staff have refused to resume work for fear of their lives
The offices of the GHA remain closed as staff have refused to resume work for fear of their lives

A week after some irate youth attacked the regional offices of the Ghana Highway Authority (GHA) in Tamale, the police are yet to make any arrest.

The offices also remain closed as staff of the GHA have refused to resume work for fear of their lives.

When the Daily Graphic visited the offices of the GHA on Tuesday, May 22, 2018, two armed policemen were stationed at the main entrance while the gates were closed.

The Northern Regional Police Command is yet to make any arrest a week after some irate youth purported to be aligned to the governing New Patriotic Party (NPP) on Tuesday, May 15 2018 attacked the regional office of the Ghana Highway Authority (GHA) in Tamale and assaulted some workers at the office.

The irate youth, numbering about 30, were alleged to have assaulted some workers during the attack over the alleged award of road contracts to persons believed to be members of the National Democratic Congress (NDC).

Closure/Security


When the Daily Graphic contacted the Northern Regional Director of the GHA, Mr Joseph Atsu, he confirmed the closure of the regional office of the GHA in a telephone interview.

He explained that the decision to close down the office was jointly taken by the National Executive Council (NEC) of the Senior Staff Association (SSA) of the GHA and the Construction and Building Materials Workers Union (CBMWU) of the Trades Union Congress (TUC).

He said the decision was taken at a meeting held at the National office of the GHA in Accra and the executives of the two bodies communicated this to management and demanded that there should be a 24-hour police guard at the regional office to ensure the safety and security of the workers, adding that until that was done the office would not be opened to the public for business.

The Regional Director stated that although two armed policemen had been stationed at the main entrance to the offices, the workers were still waiting for the green light from the NEC of the senior staff association and the union before the office would be opened to the public for business.

Mr Atsu stated that an official complaint on the attack on the office had been lodged with the Regional Police Command and investigations were underway to bring the perpetrators to book.

Police/No Arrest

The Northern Regional Crime Officer, Superintendent Kusi Appiah told the Daily Graphic that no arrest had been made so far.