The Kumasi Metropolitan Assembly (KMA) has threatened to reclaim more than 7,000 shops allocated to traders at its satellite markets.
This followed the invasion of streets and pavements in the Central Business District (CBD) by traders.
The shops were allocated to free the roads and pavements of trading activities and to pave the way for the phase two of the Kejetia Market project.
Speaking to journalists in Kumasi last Wednesday, the Metropolitan Chief Executive (MCE) of Kumasi, Mr Osei Assibey Antwi, said the assembly would enforce the bye-laws which empowered it to take over the alloted shops if owners failed to occupy them within six months after allocation.
Ghana News Headlines
For latest news in Ghana, visit Graphic Online news headlines page Ghana news page
Parliament had approved a fresh loan of 248 million euros for the commencement of the phase two of the Kejetia Market project being undertaken by a Brazilian construction firm, Contracta.
In 2015, Parliament approved a similar loan of $298 million from the Brazilian government for the construction of the Kejetia Redevelopment Market project, of which $198 million was committed to the first phase.
Mr Antwi said following stakeholder engagements, an agreement was reached to relocate traders from the congested Kumasi Central Market to a section of the newly constructed Kejetia Market, as well as other satellite markets in the metropolis to pave the way for the commencement of the phase two of the Kejetia Market project later this year.
He mentioned that as part of preparations to relocate traders, the assembly had begun the verification and validation of registered traders to occupy the new market.
Mr Antwi said measures had been put in place to assist handicapped traders with bank loans to enable them to purchase the stalls and shops when the exercise commenced.
The MCE commended the Asantehene, Otumfuo Osei Tutu II, and the Asanteman Council for their roles in eliminating bottlenecks, including legal suits and compensations during the first phase of the project, which is nearing completion.
On sanitation, Mr Antwi said his outfit would employ a team of undercover individuals to police litter bins which had become dumping points for some residents.
Mr Antwi warned that the assembly would deal with persons who carried rubbish from their homes to dump in litter bins.
He said the assembly had also embarked on a number of exercises to improve on the roads within the metropolis while it instituted stringent measures to block all leakages in its revenue collection to enhance its development programmes.