The Tamale High Court has sentenced two convicts to a total of 10 years in prison with hard labour for their roles in the current Konkomba, Chokosi conflict.
They were sentenced on Thursday for possessing firearms and ammunition without lawful authority.
The convicts, Lac Nanyom and Nablek Dzakpaki were charged with 10 counts of possession of firearms and ammunition without lawful authority.
They pleaded guilty to the charges and the court presided over by Mr. Justice Richard Kogyapwa sentenced them based on their own plea.
Each one of them got five years in prison for each count.
Ghana News Headlines
For latest news in Ghana, visit Graphic Online news headlines page Ghana news page
The sentences are to run concurrently so each of them will technically spend five years in prison.
Other accused persons
Five other accused persons, who pleaded not guilty to the charges were remanded in prison custody to reappear before the court on June 7, 2019 for the case to continue.
They are Faruk Fuseini, Ngmalan Ntsuola, Nagoli Tibulingma, Illiasu Awutor and Imoro Mohammed
The facts of the case as presented in court by the Northern Regional State Attorney, Mr. Salia Abdul Quddus were that the seven persons namely, Lac Nanyom, Nablek Dzakpaki, Faruk Fuseini, Ngmalan Ntsuola, Nagoli Tibulingma, Illiasu Awutor and Imoro Mohammed were arrested at Yeteli village near Chreponi on Tuesday, May 21, 2019 by a Police/Military patrol team
He said the Patrol team was deployed to the village upon intelligence received that a house had been set ablaze.
Upon their arrest, a quantity of ammunition was retrieved from them.
The accused persons could not produce any license permitting them to possess the guns and ammunition.
They were therefore charged with 10 counts of possession of firearms and ammunition without lawful authority and arraigned before the High Court
Demonstration/Review of ban on motorbikes
Meanwhile, some residents of Chereponi on Thursday morning staged a peaceful demonstration to protest against the ban on the use of motorbikes in the area by the Northern Regional Security Council (REGSEC) which came into force on Wednesday.
The residents who presented a petition to the REGSEC through the District Security Committee (DISEC) to lift the ban on the use of motorbike in the troubled town said it was the only means of transport which they use to transport the sick and especially pregnant women to the hospital.
The death toll in the renewed clashes between the Konkombas and Chokosis in the Chereponi district has risen to two.
The second one was recorded on Wednesday evening during curfew hours when two Chokosi communities came under attack, according to the Public Relations Officer (PRO) of the Northern Regional Police Command, Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP), Mr. Mohammed Yusif Tanko.
He said more police personnel have been deployed to the area to contain the situation as the fight between the two ethnic groups escalates
The Ministry of the Interior has also reviewed the curfew hours in both Chereponi and Saboba from 6pm to 6am to 4pm to 6am.
The Ministers of the Interior and Defense are scheduled to visit the conflict area on Friday to assess the situation and to meet with the leadership of the two ethnic groups.