Escaping cell inmate shot dead

BY: Emmanuel Adu-Gyamera
Escaping cell inmate shot dead
Escaping cell inmate shot dead

A 27-year-old cell inmate was shot and killed when he attempted to escape from police custody last Saturday.

Three other inmates, however, managed to escape but Abdul Raman Osman was shot and killed by the Nsuta police near Techiman about 8:10pm.

According to the police, the four inmates requested water to flush a water closet, which had no direct water supply because the whole town had been disconnected due to non-payment of water bills.

The police officer, who was on duty at the time, responded to their request to offer them water as they had requested.

But soon as the officer entered the cell, the inmates pushed him down and attempted to escape from the cell.

The inmates were said to have grabbed the officer on duty and attempted to strangle him to death.

In the ensuing melee, three of the inmates fled, while luck eluded Osman, who was said to have masterminded the escape. He was shot in his attempt to run away.

Ghana News Headlines

For latest news in Ghana, visit Graphic Online news headlines page Ghana news page

His body has since been deposited at the Techiman Holy Family hospital morgue pending autopsy.

Police briefing

The Brong Ahafo Regional Police Crime Officer, Superintendent Nana Kwaku Duah, who confirmed the incident to the Daily Graphic, said the Regional Command had given the police officer, who was on duty, a 10-day ultimatum to arrest the three escapees or face the consequence.

“It is a normal practice that when suspects run away from police cell, the officer on duty is given 10 days to search for the escapees,” he stated.

Supt Nana Duah said the police had commenced investigation into the matter to unravel circumstances that led to the escape of three inmates and the killing of Osman.

He added that Osman, who was on remand, was alleged to have stolen 17 cows, adding that he was granted bail, but was unable to meet his bail conditions.

Attack on police station

In a related development, some irate youth at Sankore in the Asunafo South District of the Brong Ahafo Region last Sunday attacked the Sankore Police Station and injured two police officers and a civilian when they clashed with the police.

One of the police officers was treated and discharged while his colleague and the civilian are still receiving treatment at the Sankore Health Centre.

Supt Nana Duah explained that the police arrested one Kwaku Mankugi, who had been declared wanted, adding that in the course of the arrest, friends of the suspect attacked the police officer, who managed to send the suspect to the police station at Sankore.

He said the youth later mobilised to attack the station in an attempt to free Mankugi who was in police custody.