Court remands motor rider for allegedly stabbing two persons over leftover beer


A 31-year-old motor rider has been remanded by an Accra Circuit Court for allegedly stabbing and injuring two persons in a scuffle over “leftover beer”.

Salifu Awudu is said to have stabbed one of his victims in the abdomen with a jack knife and administered cuts on a forestry officer’s arm with an unknown object.

Awudu, who has been charged with two counts of causing harm, has, however, pleaded not guilty.

He is to reappear before the Court on November 11, presided over Ms. Evelyn Asamoah.

Prosecuting, Police Chief Inspector Emmanuel Haligah, said on October 18, at about 1pm, one of the victims, Richard Nunoo, unemployed and his friend known as Salimba Alpha, also a witness in the matter, patronised a drinking spot at Sabon Zongo where they purchased drinks.

On reaching the spot, Prosecution said they met another friend who purchased a bottle of club beer for Nunoo and Alpha.

Having finished the drink, Prosecution said Nunoo and Alpha left the spot leaving a small quantity of the beer in the bottle. However, Alpha poured the small quantity of beer in his disposable cup.

Prosecution said a man at the spot, asked Alpha why he did not give the remaining beer to him but Alpha responded that what was left was too little to be shared. Awudu, who was also at the scene, asked Alpha “what nonsense he was saying?”

Prosecution said Alpha in his response to Awudu stated that “he was not talking to him, as such, he should mind his business.”

Prosecution said Awudu took offence and attacked Alpha.

Prosecution said Nunoo pulled Awudu away but to his dismay, Awudu stabbed him in the abdomen with a jack knife.

Nunoo, prosecution said, cried out for help and he was rushed to the Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital for treatment.

Prosecution said Awudu was arrested by members of the community and in a fierce attempt to resist the arrest, cut Tony Milama, a forestry officer.

He said Awudu in the process also sustained injuries on the face.

Prosecution said Awudu was also taken to the Hospital for treatment and was discharged.