Atebubu SHS students vandalise police station

BY: Emmanuel Adu-Gyamerah and Biiya Mukusah Ali
The rampaging students of the Atebubu Senior High School
The rampaging students of the Atebubu Senior High School

Some students from the Atebubu Senior High School in the Brong Ahafo Region on Friday attacked and vandalised the Atebubu Municipal Police Station, injuring two police officers in the process.

The two police officers who were stoned by the angry students have since been treated and discharged from the Atebubu Government Hospital.

Useful links Ghana Politics | Ghana Celebrity News | News in Ghana

The students also vandalised two police vehicles.

The irate students besieged the police station to demand the release of their colleagues who had been arrested for allegedly threatening to kill some teachers of their school.

Graphic Online gathered that majority of the final year students of the school agreed with some of their teachers to pay GH¢50 each to influence invigilators in the ongoing West African Senior Secondary Certificate Examination (WASSCE) so that they [invigilators] would be lenient to enable them copy themselves and help each other in the examination hall.

Ghana News Headlines

For today's latest Ghana news, visit Graphic Online headlines page Ghana news headlines.

According to reports, the teachers who allegedly received the money failed to liaise with the invigilators to assist the students during the examinations.

The strict adherence of the rules and regulations governing the conduct of the examination, Graphic Online gathered did not go down well with the students who threatened to kill some of the teachers who collected the monies.

Following the death threats, the teachers reported the matter to the police and some students were arrested.

For current Ghana news | Ghana Business News | News in Ghana

The Brong-Ahafo Regional Police Public Relations Officer, Chief Inspector Augustine Kingsley Oppong told Graphic Online that the police picked five students in connection with the death threats for interrogation.

According to him, during the interrogation, about 250 students from the school besieged the police station, vandalised the place, assaulted the police officers and damaged the two police vehicles.

Chief Inspector Oppong explained that calm has since been restored with both the police and students going about their normal duties.

He explained that the five students who were arrested have been granted police enquiry bail and investigations are still ongoing.