Security guard allegedly attacks man with shovel
The trader sustained injuries to his head, jaw and hand and is currently undergoing medical treatment at the 37 Military Hospital in Accra.
The accused, Anane, was before the court presided over by Oheneba Kuffour last week and pleaded not guilty to the charge of causing harm.
He was subsequently granted bail in the sum of GH¢50,000 with two sureties and must report to the police investigator every two weeks. The case was adjourned to October 16, 2023.
The prosecutor, Inspector Rosemond Anyane, presenting the case before the court, said that the complainant, Nana Asare, the accused, Anane, and the victim, Thompson, all reside at Alajo in Accra.
According to the prosecutor, on September 9, 2023, at about 3.30 p.m., the victim and his friends attempted to enter the premises of an Astroturf in Alajo, Accra, where a football match was being streamed but were denied entry by a security guard.
This denial resulted in an altercation between the parties. However, there was an intervention and the victim with his friends left.
Inspector Anyane said Anane, who claimed to also be a security guard, upon learning of the incident, armed himself with a shovel and traced the victim and his friends to the Accra Newtown Racco Pub after the football match.
“He then violently attacked the victim, Thompson, causing injuries to his head, jaw and left palm. Bystanders intervened and rushed the victim, who was bleeding profusely, to the Maamobi General Hospital and later to the 37 Hospital,” the prosecutor added.
She said the accused was later apprehended by the Kotobabi Police, and after investigations, formally charged with the offence and brought before the court.