Sharks, Medeama match abandoned after projectile hits Referee Liman

BY: Timothy Gobah/Dan Kenu/Beatrice Laryea
Sharks, Medeama match abandoned after projectile hits Referee Liman
Sharks, Medeama match abandoned after projectile hits Referee Liman

The match between Elmina Sharks and Medeama at the Nduom Stadium was abandoned yesterday after referee Yakubu Nuhu Liman was hit on the head by a missile while being led through the tunnel into the dressing room during recess. The match was barren at half-time.

The injured referee was given a first aid treatment and later transferred to a nearby health facility for further medical attention.

Police personnel were brought in to ensure calm while the match was held up in the second half with players of the two sides back on the pitch awaiting the start of the second half.

After almost an hour, the two teams could not agree on whether or not the match should be played. Officials of visiting Medeama SC did not agree that the fourth referee be made to take charge of the game.

Meanwhile, the officials of Sharks said they would petition the Ghana Football Association (GFA) about the incident.

Ghana News Headlines

For latest news in Ghana, visit Graphic Online news headlines page Ghana news page

Later, the Match Commissioner, William Gidiglo, told the Daily Graphic that a report would be sent to the FA for a decision to be taken on the match.

Hamzah powers Inter Allies to victory

REGISTER: Graphic Business Stanbic Bank Breakfast Meeting

Inter Allies, playing with numerical deficit against visiting Techiman Eleven Wonders yesterday, earned a deserved 1-0 victory in their midweek clash at the Tema Sports Stadium.

Centre referee Timothy Obuobi Sai had shown midfielder Samuel Ekele David a red card in the 32nd minute for a second bookable offence after he pulled down an opponent during a goalmouth tussle to deny him a scoring opportunity.

However, the home side were not perturbed by Ekele's expulsion as they put up a spirited performance and dictated the pace, especially in the second half, till Hamzah Abdul Nassiru broke the deadlock in the 55th minute after wasting some golden opportunities.

Nassiru tapped in a low cross from the right by Nigerien striker Victorien Adje Adebayor to earn them an important victory which shot them to the fourth position on the league log, having lost their last two matches.

From recess, Hamzah led Allies attack as they pounded the defence of Eleven Wonders but were denied of further goals through poor finishing.

The visiting side were also gifted a number of scoring opportunities but could not find the back of the net as the Allies defence, built around captain Hashmin Musah, Issahaku Zakari and Mohammed Zakari were resolute in thwarting their efforts.

In the 75th minute, Abdul Wahab nearly scored the equalising goal for Eleven Wonders but his shot from inside the Allies goal area missed the target narrowly.

Chelsea hold Kotoko in Kumasi

Frederick Boateng scored his second goal in two matches as Kumasi Asante Kotoko were held to a 1-1 draw by Berekum Chelsea in their midweek clash at the Baba Yara Stadium in Kumasi.

Chelsea were favoured to carry the day following their impressive form, including a recent 3-0 victory over Accra Hearts of Oak, but their onward march was halted by the Porcupine Warriors who had lost their last match away to WAFA.

Diminutive attacker Latif Salifu broke the deadlock in the 42nd minute for Chelsea, having been previously held in check by the Kotoko defenders before Boateng scored the equalising goal in the 49th minute to earn a point for his side. Boateng connected home a rebound shot by Emmanuel Gyamfi whose left drive hit the upright and bounced back into play.

Before Latif's goal in the 22nd minute, he had brought out the best in goalkeeper Felix Annan whose agility prevented three successive shots initiated by the Chelsea striker.

But Kotoko hit back with great attacking speed with Boateng struggling to live up to the task upfront before scoring the important equaliser.

By the 30th-minute it was clear Kotoko were missing the services of injured bullish striker, Saddick Adams, who is reportedly halfway through his six weeks recovery date.

Wa-based referee Adaari Latif denied both sides clear penalties, first disallowing a 65th-minute call by Kotoko in a ball-to-hand situation, and five minutes later he signalled play-on after Chelsea's Kelvin Ishmael Mensah was brought down in the Kotoko penalty area.



Date: 23/04/2019 | Venue: Labadi Beach Hotel