The President of Elmina Sharks, Dr Papa Kwesi Nduom has dismissed media reports alleging that fans of the club launched a missile which struck referee Yakubu Nuhu Liman midway through their Ghana Premier League clash with Medeama SC yesterday at the Nduom Stadium.
With the game scoreless at halftime, Referee Liman was reportedly hit on the head by a missile bringing an abrupt end to the match due to the severity of his injuries.Follow @Graphicgh
However, Dr Nduom who was at the stadium yesterday insists that no fan attacked the referee who instead tripped and fell in the process of being escorted off the field by the police during halftime.
According to him, no Sharks fan laid a finger on Referee Liman but the match was called off only because Medeama refused to play the second half citing too long of a delay in getting the second half started.
Meanwhile, Medema SC has discounted the claims of Dr Nduom describing it as "...palpable falsehood and wicked for Elmina Sharks to claim referee Nuhu Liman fell on his own.
"He was brutally and brazenly attacked by irate Sharks fans. Sharks indeed! Shocking!", Medeama's Twitter account tweeted.
Read Dr Nduom's entire post below;
The Fearsome Elmina Sharks Versus Medeama
1. How come the second half of the match was not played? Because Medeama refused to play the second half citing too long of a delay in getting the second half started.
2. Were the referees on the field ready to officiate the second half? Yes.
3. Did Elmina/home team supporters pounce on the referee and beat him badly enough for him to sustain injuries? No. Nobody laid a finger on the referee.
4. How did the referee get injured? It appears that as he was being escorted off the field by the police during halftime, he tripped, fell and injured himself. As there were police personnel around plus video recording, the truth will be found soon enough.
5. Why are media reports alleging that the referee was beaten by Sharks supporters and that led to the stoppage of the match? Those filing those reports were obviously not there.
6. Was I there at the stadium? Yes. I was there and involved as I always do when I am present at the stadium in making sure that our supporters do not misbehave. I went to the Medeama locker room, talked to the match officials and the security people to assure them of our goodwill.
7. Was there a problem on the field of play during the first half? Yes. A fight broke out between some Sharks and Medeama players getting to the end of the first half. The match was getting out of hand. So this is what led to the referee being escorted off the field at halftime.
Also, this match was recorded. So it would be easy to find out what happened. The GPL will thrive if we work with facts.