Sena Agbeko laments exclusion from world title clash
Ghanaian world title hopeful, Sena Agbeko, has lashed at the Nevada State Athletic Commission describing its decision to withdraw him from his scheduled WBA super middleweight championship against David Morrell Jr as a clear case of injustice.
Agbeko (27-2, 21 KOs) said he was still in shock by the decision to pull him out of the upcoming fight for medical reasons despite an MRI scan by neurosurgeon Dr Michael Seiff who passed him fit to go ahead with the bout.
The US-based boxer said he suspected the incident was orchestrated by Morrell Jr’s camp to avoid fighting him and to opt for a lesser-ranked opponent in Yamaguchi “The Problem” Falcao for the April 22 showdown in Las Vegas.
“An MRI by Dr Michael Seiff, a neurosurgeon who’s been practicing for over 35 years, clearly stated that I have been cleared to proceed with my fight. The commission and its doctors said they needed a second opinion based on the imaging results they received, and the expert who’s been doing this for over 35 years assured them he didn’t see anything [wrong] and that I was cleared to fight, but they [Nevada State Athletic Commission] still didn’t approve me.
“Apparently, by that time, my opponent's team had already been talking to the new opponent because they knew they didn’t want to fight me at that point. Even before we received the first MRI scan, my opponent’s team was already out on social media claiming I had failed my neurological tests when no doctor had stated that. Not ever and that they were looking at a new opponent which is also a clear violation of HIPPA [Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996] laws,” a statement by Agbeko’s management team read.
The Ghanaian boxer’s camp did not mince words that the latest twist was engineered by his opponent’s management to get him [Agbeko] out of the way.
“It’s clear this was already orchestrated behind the scenes and Morrell and his team are hiding behind the Nevada State Athletic Commission to pull off this stunt. They are going with an easier, lesser ranked opponent on short notice because they received reports on how well I was doing and how much of a threat I could be and they couldn’t afford to get their plans derailed,” the statement said.
Meanwhile, Morrel Jr’s new opponent, Falcao, a 2012 Olympian, represents his native Sao Mateus, Espirito Santo, Brazil. The 35-year-old has won eight-straight bouts heading into April 22, including a busy 2022 campaign that saw him earn five victories, with his most recent victory in December when he knocked out Ernest Amuzu.
Falcao’s only career loss came via a close decision against Christopher Pearson in May 2019, following which he recorded a draw against super middleweight contender, D’Mitrius Ballard, in December 2019.
“They call me ‘The Problem’ and I am coming to show the world that I have the talent and determination to become the WBA Super Middleweight Champion,” said Falcao.
“I promise that everyone tuning in will be extremely happy with the show that we put on. I’m coming to win on April 22,” he said.