Black Starlets centre-back, Faisal Osman, has been ruled out of the Under-17 World Cup in India after suffering an Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) injury during training.
As a result, the youngster has been released to go home and seek medical attention as the team prepares to travel to Abu Dhabi today for a training tour.
The head coach of the Starlets, Paa Kwasi Fabin, who confirmed this to the Graphic Sports last Sunday, said a replacement had been found for Osman who was a stalwart at the Black Starlets’ rear during Ghana’s semi-final game against Niger at the Under-17 Africa Cup in Gabon last May.
Apart from Osman, Coach Fabin said the rest of the players were in high spirits ready to represent the nation, adding that a total of 25 players would be taken to the United Arab Emirates (UAE) after which the team would be pruned to 21 for the competition in India from October 6 to 24.
The former Accra Hearts of Oak coach said, considering the depth of quality in the current team, it was going to be very difficult to drop anybody. He, however,insisted that he had no option but to present a final list of 21 players to FIFA.
While in the UAE, the Starlets are expected to play a number of friendly games with some local clubs to test their preparedness ahead of the World Cup.
The Deputy Minister of Youth and Sports, Pius Enam Hadzide, was optimistic that the team could play a friendly against host country, India, who are in the same group with the Black Starlets and have also pit camp in the UAE for preparations.