SAUL 'Canelo' Alvarez claimed the WBC and WBA world middleweight titles by inflicting a first career defeat on Gennady Golovkin with a gripping points win in their Las Vegas rematch last Saturday night
It gave Canelo a narrow 114-114, 115-113 and 115-113 majority decision to edge a contest in which both men were cut and each showed why he is among the finest practitioners in the sport.
Golovkin, whose first defeat comes in his 40th bout, left the ring immediately without conducting an interview as his rival -- fighting for the first time since serving a six-month drugs ban -- celebrated.
"My corner told me I needed to win the final round and that's what I did. I'm very emotional," said Alvarez, who has previously held world titles at middleweight and light-middleweight.
Golovkin told reporters
Alvarez looked close to tears after a decision which will again prompt controversy as, for spells in the fight, Golovkin seemed to be edging the physical side of a tactical battle, with his jab proving key early on.
They embraced before each raising his hands but the cards prompted Mexican celebration on the country's Independence weekend.
"If the people want another fight then we'll do it again," said Alvarez, beaten only by Floyd Mayweather in a 53-fight career. "We'll do it, no doubt." — PAS