Okwawu stun Liberty as they face Bechem United in MTN FA Cup final

Author: Daniel kenu
Bechem United players roaring all the way to the final
Bechem United players roaring all the way to the final

Okwawu United yesterday stunned pre-match favourites Liberty Professionals to book a place in this year’s MTN FA Cup final after beating the Scientific Soccer lads 3-1 on penalties. Both sides played out a 1-1 drawn game in 120 minutes of pulsating action.

Owawu, who won the FA Cup in 1986, will meet Bechem United in the final slated for the Accra Sports Stadium later this month. Bechem accounted for Wa Rockets in the first of two semi-final matches played at the Baba Yara Stadium in Kumasi yesterday.

Hamza Mohammed (48th minute) and Richard Baffour (71st) scored  the decisive goals to bring to an end the fairytale performance of the Wa side who also eliminated regional premiership side,  Wa All Stars on their way to the semis. 

But for Division One side Okwawu, they had to fall on the heroics of goalkeeper Mohammed Abass during shootout as he saved three spot kicks  by Liberty to ensure his side remained on course to repeat their FA Cup triumph three decades ago.

The Liberty-Okwawu clash sold out an exciting  game with end to end action, particularly in the first half which saw Liberty taking the lead through their diminutive goal machine, Latif Blessing, in the 45th minute.

But true to their ‘Yente Gyae’ motto, Okwawu fought back after recess and in the 65th minute Maclean Ampadu scored the equalising goal after connecting home a corner kick. 

Okwawu’s confidence soared as they pushed for the match winner, but they  nearly paid a heavy price for dropping their guard late in the game as Liberty’s Felix Addo nearly fetched the winning goal, as his back heel from a defensive mixed up hit the post and rolled back into the waiting hands of goalkeeper Abass.

Earlier in the afternoon, Rockets were shot down when it mattered most, as they failed ride on fanatical support the Division One side enjoyed from some known Kotoko fans and allowed their Premiership rivals to use their richer experience to march into the final with two well taken goals, one in each half.