fbpx

I will not contest Buem by-election – Kofi Adams

BY: Enoch Darfah Frimpong

Disqualified aspirant on the ticket of the NDC in the upcoming Buem Parliamentary by-election, Mr Kofi Adams, has disclosed that he will not contest the election as an independent candidate.

The suspended deputy general secretary of the ruling party was denied the opportunity to contest the primary on the grounds that the disciplinary committee was yet to determine his membership of the party after he took the party to court over his suspension.

Mr Adams filed the suit to challenge his suspension over an alleged tape recording of a conversation between himself and the Executive Director of the Danquah Institute, Mr Gabby Asare Okyere-Darko, discussing how to run down the NDC in the 2012 general election.

He later withdrew the case from court when the Buem seat became vacant, following the death of the MP-elect, Henry Ford Kamel on Christmas Day last year.

The General Secretary, Mr Johnson Asiedu Nketia, said Mr Adams did could not enjoy the rights as a party member since the disciplinary committee was yet to determine the matter.

Ghana News Headlines

For latest news in Ghana, visit Graphic Online news headlines page Ghana news page

Reports suggested that the aide to party Founder and ex-President Jerry John Rawlings, might contest the February 26, 2013 by-election as an independent candidate.

Speaking, however, on Joy FM’s Newsfile programme last Saturday, Mr Adams categorically stated that he would not run as an independent candidate in the by-election.

He said the party took the decision not to allow him to contest the by-election and he would respect that decision.

“I believe the right time will come for me to represent the party in the Buem Constituency,” Mr Adams said.