The opposition National Democratic Congress(NDC) has outlined 10 key measures it plans to implement to improve the livelihood of teachers, if given the mandate to govern Ghana at the December 7, 2020 General Elections.
The party in its “Peoples' Manifesto”, promised to increase teachers retention premium, reinstate their payment of responsibility allowances and fast-track promotions and applications for academic progression.
It also pledged to open special credit lines to facilitate access to loans for teachers and collaborate with teacher unions to implement a special regime allowing teachers to own vehicles under affordable terms.
Read the full list below:
10 KEY TAKEAWAYS FOR TEACHERS IN THE NDC’S PEOPLES’ MANIFESTO
The next NDC Government shall:
1. Increase teachers’ retention premium.
2. Reinstate the payment of responsibility allowances to teachers.
3. Fast track promotions and applications for academic progression.
4. Open special credit lines to facilitate access to loans for teachers
5. Collaborate with teacher unions to implement a special regime allowing teachers to own vehicles under affordable terms.
6. Abolish the mandatory national service and teacher licensure examinations for graduate teachers.
7. Restore automatic employment of newly trained teachers.
8. Provide teachers with free tablets to facilitate teaching and learning.
9. Amend the National Pensions Act, to allow teachers who have contributed to SSNIT for 10 years and above to collateralize their contributions for mortgage loans.
10. Revisit and make functional the agenda of providing special incentives for teachers who accept postings to rural and deprived communities.
Source: NDC NCB-HQ