Two arrested in connection with killing of OKESS student

BY: Donald Ato Dapatem
The deceased, Godfred Arthur
The deceased, Godfred Arthur

Two persons suspected to have been involved in the stabbing to death of a 19-year-old final year student of the Osei Kyeretwie Senior High School (OKESS) in Kumasi have been arrested.

The deceased, Godfred Arthur, who was left with just 24 hours to write his final paper, was stabbed to death by suspected armed robbers who attacked the school last Wednesday night.

Useful links Ghana Politics | Ghana Celebrity News | News in Ghana

He was stabbed in the neck and the chest by one of the robbers.

The robbers had invaded the school, which is without a fence wall, to steal mobile phones, money and other belongings of the students.

An eyewitness told the Daily Graphic that when word went round around 10.30 p.m. that robbers had invaded the school, the students, especially those in final year who were at prep, took to their heels.

Ghana News Headlines

For today's latest Ghana news, visit Graphic Online headlines page Ghana news headlines.

However, Arthur was accosted by one of the robbers, who demanded that he handed over his phone.

The witness said when Arthur failed to hand over the phone, a struggle ensued between him and the robber, and in the process Arthur was stabbed in the neck and the chest, leading to his death.

Some of the students who saw their mate bleeding profusely rushed to his aid but could not get any vehicle on the compound to take him to the nearest hospital.

For current Ghana news | Ghana Business News | News in Ghana

They had to fall on a tricycle outside to transport the wounded student to the Trinity Hospital at Pankrono, where Authur was pronounced dead on arrival.

When the Daily Graphic got to the school yesterday morning, a large number of anxious parents had besieged the compound to take their children away, but the school authorities insisted that they allow the children to stay in school.


Addressing the fear-stricken students, the Chief Executive of the Kumasi Metropolitan Assembly (KMA), Mr Osei Assibey Antwi, confirmed that two of the suspects had been arrested, but did not mention their names, as investigations were ongoing.

He expressed his sympathy to the students and assured them that security would be beefed up in the school to forestall the recurrence of the dastardly act.

He commended the Headmistress of the school, Mrs Mary Cromwell Owusu, for her initiative in starting the construction of the wall and also confirmed that she had written through him to the Ashanti Regional Minister and the Minister of Education for the completion of the project.

Mr Antwi, who was accompanied by the Ashanti Regional Director of the Ghana Education Service, (GES) Mrs Mary Owusu Achiaw, stated that since there were plans to enhance security in the school, there was no need to close it down.


Some of the parents who spoke to the Daily Graphic complained about the lack of security in the school, which allowed the students to roam in town, while outsiders entered the school without let or hindrance.

Board Chairman 

The Chairman of the Board of Governors of the school, Mr Owusu Ansah, urged the parents to exercise restraint and not  take their children home because those in final year were about to complete their final examination.