Chereponi: Three die in renewed violent clashes

BY: Mohammed Fugu

A violent clash that erupted between two ethnic groups at Nanduni, a farming community in the Chereponi District in the Northern Region on Monday night, December 31, 2018 has reportedly led to the death of three persons.

Several persons have sustained severe gunshots and machete wounds while a number of houses and property have been set ablaze.

Useful links Ghana Politics | Ghana Celebrity News | News in Ghana

It has emerged that the incident that has resulted in residents fleeing to neighbouring Togo for safety because of the fear of reprisal attacks, is a renewed dispute between the Konkonba and Chekosi ethnic groups over land.

Graphic Online is learning that some of the residents have also sought refuge at the palace of the Chereponi Chief.

https://goo.gl/maps/bGx6bbyjtdo


Ghana News Headlines

For today's latest Ghana news, visit Graphic Online headlines page Ghana news headlines.

Security deployment
The District Chief Executive for Chereponi, Mr. Abdul-Razak Tahidu told Graphic Online Wednesday morning, that a joint military and police team has since been deployed to the community to restore calm.

He said the violent clashes have escalated to all Konkomba and Chekosis settlements in the district such as Tekasu and Nanburunu and some parts of the Saboba district.

“Information I am getting this morning is that several houses and property in all the Konkomba and Chekosis settlements have been set ablaze and I have called the Northern Regional Police Commander and the Northern Regional Minister to inform them about the situation so that they can deploy more security personnel to the area”, he said.

For current Ghana news | Ghana Business News | News in Ghana

The Chief of Wenchiki, Bosoro Abubakar Awufor has called for the deployment of more security personnel to the area to help calm the situation and protect lives and property.

Background
Two persons were shot dead while several others sustained severe gunshot wounds last year in yet a renewed conflict between the Konkomba and Chekosi ethnic groups at Naaduni over an alleged land dispute.

Thirteen persons were arrested in connection with the violent clashes between the two ethnic groups but they were later released without charge.

The violent clashes started after some alleged Konkombas attacked a Chekosi man who was said to have sent a tractor to plough part of a disputed land.

The dispute was finally resolved at the palace of the Paramount Chief of Chereponi which went in favour of the Chekosis.