Executives of 3 NDC constituencies in Greater Accra asked to step aside

Executives of the three constituency branches of the National Democratic Congress (NDC) in the Greater Accra Region have been asked to step aside from the processes leading to the party’s parliamentary and presidential primaries.

This follows accusation levelled against them for taking sides in the processes leading to the primaries scheduled for November 21, 2015.

The affected executives in the Shai Osudoku, Ada and Klottey Korle constituencies have also been directed to hand over election materials for the primaries to the Greater Accra Regional secretariat of the party.

Press conference

The Greater Accra Regional Chairman of the NDC, Mr. Joseph Ade Coker, who announced this at a press conference in Accra yesterday, explained that the executives did not stay neutral as required by the election guidelines and had publicly declared their support for one aspirant or another.

They were also accused of mounting platforms for parliamentary aspirants and following them in their campaigns.

In addition, Mr. Coker announced that an aspirant of Weija/Gbawe, Mr. Ocansey Ayiku, had been suspended for not using the laid down channel to address his grievances but resorting to media engagements and destroying party materials.

He explained that Mr. Ayiku held a press conference with his team to make all manner of allegations against the party.

He said not satisfied, Ayiku and his team of supporters stormed one of the biometric register exhibition centres in the constituency and tore the register into pieces.

The regional chairman said in its request to resolve all issues, the regional party hierarchy was met with insults and humiliation from the aspirant.

“The regional executives have decided to invoke Article 46 clause 8 to suspend Mr. Ayiku and cautioned his supports to restrain themselves from any arts of hooliganism, since the party is superior to any individual,” Mr. Coker said.

Road Map

He said the regional executives had crafted an agenda dubbed: Agenda 60-40, by which the party was expected to win 60 per cent of votes in the region, leaving 40 per cent for the other parties to share.

He observed that development projects going on in the region and the others had motivated the executives and the teeming supporters that come 2016, the Greater Accra Region would heavily swing in favour of the NDC.

He said the region was poised to recapture maximum votes for the party once more and also increase its parliamentary seats from 20 to 25 in the 2016 general election.

In the 2012 parliamentary election, the NDC captured 20 out of the 34 seats, while the New Patriotic Party (NPP) took the remaining 14.