fbpx

Confirmed: Lovers died from ‘generator’ fumes

BY: Emelia Ennin Abbey

The cause of death of the two love birds who were found in their room at Gbegbeyise, near Dansoman, has finally been established.

The autopsy and special analysis on the bodies of the two have confirmed that they died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Ghana News Headlines

For latest news in Ghana, visit Graphic Online news headlines page Ghana news page

Pathologists at the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital examined the bodies of Frank Arhin, 32, and Sandra Boateng, 30, while parts of the bodies were taken to the Ghana Standards Authority (GSA) for a special analysis.

Specialists at the GSA, after examining samples of the blood, stomach contents and body parts of the lovers in a toxicology analysis, concluded that the two lovers died after inhaling the fumes from the ‘generator’ they were using in their room.

Since February 3, 2015, the police have been investigating whether the loverbirds died from ‘generator’ fumes as was speculated or otherwise.

It is expected that the police will close the docket on the case and hand over the bodies to the families of the deceased.

A family member of Arhin said “now we can bury our family member in peace. It is good that we have been able to establish the cause of death scientifically. We were confused when the incident happened”.

He commended the police for conducting a thorough investigation and communicating with the families of the deceased.

Arhin and his girlfriend were found dead in their single room, and it was suspected they were asphyxiated by the fumes from a ‘generator’ in the room, which served as a living room and bedroom.

The ‘generator’ was found on one of the chairs in the living room which had a small window that was covered with heavy curtains.

 In an interview, an electrical engineer, Mr Charles Amoako, said generating sets and other similar equipment with carbon monoxide-emitting engines must be kept outside in the open air where they could be vented.

“A generating set is not meant to be used in a room but rather in an open space. The fumes contain gases which are colourless, invincible and odourless,” he said.

writer’s email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.