Thirteen persons have been arrested in connection with the violent clashes between the Konkombas and Chekosis in the Chereponi District in the Northern Region last Friday.
The violent clashes led to the death of two people.
The suspects, including a chief and his elders, were arrested after a team of Police and Military personnel conducted a search at the Chief`s palace upon a tip-off.
The combined security team retrieved five single barrel guns and three BB live ammunition.
The suspects are currently being held at the Yendi Divisional Headquarters to assist in investigations.
Meanwhile, a team of police and military personnel from Yendi have been deployed to the area to beef up security following the violent clashes.
Reports picked up by Graphic Online after the incident indicated that some of the residents in the area fled to neighboring Togo for fear of reprisal attacks.
However, following the deployment of combined police and military personnel to the area, some of the residents who deserted the place have started coming back.
The Northern Regional Police Public Relations Officer (PRO), Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP), Mr. Mohammed Yussif Tanko who confirmed the arrest of the 13 persons said the suspects have been detained at the Yendi Divisional Police Command to assist with investigations.
He said the security personnel also pursued a group of young men at Achuma, a nearby village upon intelligence and retrieved one single barrel gun and AK47 rifle magazine containing 20 rounds of ammunition.
He said the deceased have been deposited at the Tamale Teaching Hospital’s (TTH) morgue for preservation and autopsy, with the injured receiving treatment at various health facilities.
Two persons were shot dead and several others sustained severe gunshots wounds in a renewed conflict between the Konkomba and Chekosi ethnic groups at Naaduni in the Chereponi District over an alleged land dispute on Friday, June 1, 2018.
The deceased have been identified as Kura Mustapha, 35, and Mohamadu Baafim, 42.
Several houses and property were also torched during the violent conflict.
The Chief of Wenchiki in the Chereponi Traditional Area, Mr Abubakari Awufor recounted to the Daily Graphic that the violent clashes sparked after some alleged Konkombas attacked a chekosi man who was said to have sent a tractor to plough part of the disputed land on Friday.
According to him, there had been dispute over the land for the past years and that the dispute was finally resolved on Monday, May 29, 2018, at the palace of the Paramount Chief of Chereponi.
He added however that the settlement of the dispute went in favour of the Chekosis.
The Wenchiki Chief said the ruling by the Paramount Chief of Chereponi appeared not to have gone down well with the Konkombas because “they farmed cotton on the land last year and applied fertilizer so they didn’t want to leave the fertile land to the Chekosi man despite the chief directives”.
“In fact they have been fighting over the piece of land for the past years and the matter was brought to Chereponi Paramount Chief Palace and it was resolved,” he said, adding that “the Paramount chief even directed that they should share the boundary of the land which they did last Monday”.
Meanwhile, on Saturday morning, June 2, this year, members of the District Security Council (DISEC) visited the Naaduni community to get first-hand information on the incident and to asses the security situation in the area.
The District Security Council has since condemned the renewed clashes and appealed to the two feuding factions to use the appropriate quarters to resolve their differences rather than resorting to violence.