Advertisement

Santa Fufu
Santa Fufu THOMAS DODOO

Santa Fufu

Christmas is a season to give, a season to love, a season for families to get together and laugh aloud, mine is no different.

In Ghana, parents buy all Christmas items at the end of November or before Christmas because mum says items such as chicken, rice, soft drinks, toys and all Christmas goodies get expensive during this time.

From the 20th to the 22nd of December we clean, paint and decorate our house. On the 24th of December, mum slaughters a fat hen and prepares delicious chicken light soup with other kinds of foods.

We bake cakes, pies, rock buns, sausage rolls and jam rolls Christmas preparation is loads of work and I mean loads and loads of work but in the end it is all worth it.

After all the cooking and baking is done, we sit down with my grandmother and listen to her tell funny stories. We sing Christmas songs of all kinds.

Christmas is a season and Jesus is the reason. So, on Christmas day the 25th of December, my family and I go to church to pray and thank God for bringing his son to the world to save us from our sins. We sing ‘Ye ma mu afehyia pa oo’, dance, shake hands and greet one another. It is such a joyous occasion. This year because of Covid-19, I don't think we will be shaking hands or hugging each other because we are practising social distancing.

When we return home after the Christmas church service, the men would pound fufu. The fufu they pound is big, very very big. It is so big I call it Santa Fufu. We all eat the Santa fufu with the Chicken light soup prepared by mum the day before.

Try some of our Santa fufu with chicken light soup, it is the best thing you would have ever tasted!

In the evening, we eat jollof and grilled chicken with soft drinks and pastries.

On Boxing Day, 26th December, we go to a cinema or a restaurant to relax.

The celebration continues all through to the New year. I love Christmas!

Abena Adutwumwaa Safo, The light Academy
Winner of the ACE Children's Christmas Story Writing Competition 2020
The ACE Children's Christmas Story Writing Competition 2020

Connect With Us : 0242202447 | 0551484843 | 0266361755 | 059 199 7513 |