A dream trip to the airport

Abena was lying down in bed in a very deep sleep when she heard her sister, Selassi, call her: “Abena, Abena, wake up.” 
She was enjoying her sleep so much that she asked Selassi to leave her alone because she had a headache.

Advertisement


“Lies, but you were the same person who ate all the chocolate bars mum bought from Mrs Atoapomaa,” Selassi said angrily.

“Yes, it was I but that was yesterday, not today. Please don’t bring past tense into present tense,” Abena retorted.


Selassi scornfully looked at her sister on the bed as she stretched her body in her favourite sleeping posture.


As Selassi turned to leave her sister’s room, she turned again to check whether her sister was getting up but she didn’t.
With a wicked smile she shouted across the room, “mum has asked me to inform you she is travelling to Dubai today and she wants us to see her off to the airport.” 


  The moment Abena heard about the trip to the airport, she quickly jumped out of the bed and rushed to the bathroom. Selassi smiled as she left the room. Abena and her sister have over the years grown used to such impromptu trips by their mother. As the head of a multinational company in the country, she often went on business trips.


Although she and her sister did not like their mother’s absence, the fact that she brought them nice gifts from such trips was enough to compensate them. She was, however, extremely happy this time around because it was the first time her mother was taking them along to the airport to see her off and the thought of seeing aeroplanes flying thrilled her.


Within 20 minutes, Abena had finished dressing up and went downstairs to help her parents and sister with the suitcases.
“Abena, I thought you said you had a headache. Why are you here all dressed up?” their mother asked.
“Hmm, Selassi, did I tell you that I was sick? Mum, don’t mind her,” responded Abena.


Abena happily took the bags to the car. When everybody was on board, Mr Asare, their father, drove them to the airport. Soon, they were there and the first sight of the tall buildings and beautful structures around the airport made Abena  exclaim ‘wow!’


“What a nice and huge building,” Selassi added. “Ladies, this is the Kotoka International Airport,” their father informed them.
Abena was very happy and as she looked round the airport and saw aeroplanes taxiing while others took off she was mesmerised. Fortunately, because they reported early, they had enough time to look around after her mother had checked in.
They decided to take snacks in one of the nearby restaurants. Her father ordered pizza, potatoes chips and soft drinks for them. Abena, whose favourite was pizza, took a slice. She was about to take another bite when she felt something strong hitting on her legs.


She woke up to find out who was doing that only to discover that all the nice experience was just a dream.


“What! All this was a dream?”  When reality dawned on her that she had had a dream, she was so disappointed that she fell on her back on the bed and stared quietly at the ceiling of the small wooden room she shared with her parents and sister.


She couldn’t believe that the riches she and her family had in the dream was not real after all.

Mary Acheampong,
Agape School Complex,
Lebanon, Accra.

 

Connect With Us : 0242202447 | 0551484843 | 0266361755 | 059 199 7513 |

Like what you see?

Hit the buttons below to follow us, you won't regret it...

0
Shares