Trump back on Twitter following 12-hour ban

BY: bbc.com
US President Donald Trump
US President Donald Trump

President Donald Trump has been allowed to tweet again after being locked out of his account for 12 hours.

Before his account was locked, he had posted several messages on Wednesday in which he called the people who stormed Capitol Hill “patriots”. He also reiterated false claims of voter fraud.

Trump has been warned by the social media site that he will be banned “permanently” if he breaches the platform’s rules again.

So far, he's playing it safe - only tweeting a video where he takes a more conciliatory tone and pledges to facilitate a peaceful transition of power.

Other social media sites such as Facebook, Instagram and popular gaming platform Twitch have been stricter. Twitch has placed an indefinite ban on Mr Trump’s channel while Facebook has suspended the president from its site and Instagram for the next two weeks.

The people who died in the riot
The total number of deaths connected to Wednesday's riot has reached five. Aside from the US Capitol police officer whose death we reported on earlier, the remaining four were Trump supporters attending the march.

Ashli Babbitt, 35, was part of the mob entering the legislature. A statement from Capitol Police said an employee fired their service weapon, striking her “as protesters were forcing their way toward the House Chamber where members of Congress were sheltering in place”.

Babbitt was admitted to hospital with a gunshot wound and died later that evening.

The US Air Force veteran described herself as a libertarian and a patriot on social media, where she posted frequently about President Trump.

"She had a personality that you either loved or hated," her ex-husband told NPR. "She wasn't apologetic about it... she was proud of it, just like she was proud of her country and proud to be an American."

Also among the dead was Benjamin Phillips, 50, who organised for a group of Pennsylvanians to travel together to Washington. A computer programmer, he set up a social media channel for Trump supporters.

One member of the group with him in Washington told the Philadelphia Inquirer that he had tried to call Phillips when it was time to leave but a police officer picked up and told him that Phillips had died.

Kevin Greeson, 55, from Alabama died from a heart attack at the event, his family said. A staunch Trump supporter, he had been active on Parler, a self-styled "free speech" social media site popular with conservatives as an alternative to Twitter.

Greeson's family said he was "not there to participate in violence or rioting, nor did he condone such actions".

They called him a “wonderful father and husband who loved life”.

Police also confirmed the death of Rosanne Boyland, 34, from Georgia. A statement from her brother-in-law Justin Cave said the family were still trying to figure out the details of her death.

"As we watched these awful events unfold we hoped that Roseanne was not among the crowd. Tragically she was there and it cost her life," he said.

"I've never tried to be a political person but it's my own personal belief that the president's words incited a riot that killed four of his biggest fans last night," Mr Cave told a local CBS station.

Credit: The BBC