fbpx

Nigerian authorities confirm arrest of Owo church attackers

BY: Vanguard Nigeria
File photo: Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Lucky Irabor (M), speaking to newsmen
File photo: Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Lucky Irabor (M), speaking to newsmen

Nigeria's military high command has confirmed the arrest of the perpetrators of the deadly attack on the Owo catholic church.

The arrest, according to the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), General Lucky Irabor was made possible by joint operations of all the security agencies.

The CDS, who listed the names of those arrested, noted that the suspects who are members of Islamic State of West Africa (ISWAP) are in custody.

Forty people were killed when the gunmen stormed the church on June 5, opened fire on the congregation, and also detonated explosives as the worshippers scampered for safety.

Operatives of Amotekun Corps in Ondo State had earlier claimed they also arrested some suspects in connection with the killings

Briefing journalists in Akure on June 23, the state Commander of Amotekun, Adetunji Adeleye, expressed assurance that all the attackers of the worship centre would be apprehended.

Adeleye however, did not give the actual figure of the suspected terrorists arrested.

“As regards the Owo incident, we have recovered the last vehicle they used for that operation and we made some arrests and we have also recovered some vital things which we are working on,” he said.

“A number of people have been arrested concerning the Owo issue as well as a well number of equipment. On that day, we pursued them to the point that we recovered the vehicle and we are still pursuing them. We have told you that until we get to the root, I can assure you that the perpetrators and their sponsors will be brought to book.”

Credit: Vanguard Nigeria