The process by the government to dissolve the Ghana Football Association (GFA) was set in motion on Tuesday when the High Court temporarily froze all activities of the association.
The injunction, which will last for 10 days, in effect bars the GFA and its officials from engaging in any form of football-related activity.
This includes the appointment and election of officials, disposing of assets of the GFA, organising football matches, among other football-related activities.
The court, presided over by Mr Justice Samuel Asiedu, granted the interim injunction request from the Attorney-General and Minister of Justice, Ms Gloria Afua Akuffo.
The interim injunction will last for 10 days, after which the Attorney-General is expected to go on notice to show cause why the GFA should be dissolved.
Ghana News Headlines
For today's latest Ghana news, visit Graphic Online headlines page Ghana news headlines.
Related: Govt to dissolve GFA this week
Making a case for the suspension of the GFA, Ms Akuffo informed the court that the association was being used for illegal purposes.
She said flowing from that, the government had the duty of protecting the interest of the public and would proceed to safeguard that interest.
According to her, the immediate past President of the GFA, Mr Kwesi Nyantakyi, used the association as an instrument for self gain.
She further noted that some officials had also used the GFA’s name to make themselves rich, at the expense of the public interest.
Ms Akuffo said some officials of the GFA had used the GFA for scandalous and corrupt activities.
She told the court that the government was embarking on an exercise to ultimately safeguard the interest of the public.
The court, accordingly, granted the application, which is expected to elapse on June 21, 2018.
The Attorney-General’s Office will then set in motion other plans aimed at completely dissolving the GFA.
Support and criticism
While majority of Ghanaians are calling for the disbandment of the GFA following an exposé by the internationally acclaimed investigative journalist, Anas Aremeyaw Anas, on the rot in football administration in Ghana, others are against that, on the grounds that such a move would result in a FIFA ban.
Related: GFA offices remain sealed
A two-hour exciting video on corruption in Ghana’s football, dubbed: Number 12 – When greed and corruption become the norm, was premiered at the Accra International Conference Centre on June 6, 2018.
The premiering, which drew a huge crowd, showed how penalties were awarded and red and yellow cards shown to influence the outcome of local football matches.
The prying eyes of Anas’s investigative team captured back-room dealings before matches were played.
Seventy-seven Ghanaian referees are alleged to have taken bribes to influence their decisions in football matches.
Six officials of the Ghana Sports Authority were also caught on video entering into visa deals.
Another 14 officials from the GFA were captured on video taking various sums as bribe to influence match fixing.
Related: GFA calls off all football matches
The investigative video into the rot at the GFA has resulted in FIFA suspending Mr Nyantakyi for 90 days.
Mr Nyantakyi has since tendered in his resignation as GFA President.
The Criminal Investigations Department (CID) of the Ghana Police Service is investigating his conduct, following a complaint by President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo.
Mr Nyantakyi was seen on video telling investors who later turned out to be Anas’s team members that he could help them secure juicy contracts after the President, his vice and some government officials had been given various sums of money.
He has since apologised to the Presidency and his family but indicated that his apology is not an admission of guilt.
He even went ahead to describe Anas and his team members as “scammers” who caused him to believe they were genuine investors.