VGMA: Shatta Wale says he has quit the scheme

By: Gifty Owusu-Amoah
Shatta Wale quits VGMA
Shatta Wale

EVEN before Charterhouse announced that it had banned Dancehall artistes Shatta Wale and Stonebwoy, following their fracas at the 20th edition of the VGMA, the self-acclaimed 'Dancehall King' announced earlier that he had quit the scheme. 

In a Facebook post this morning, the Kakai hitmaker said his decision was based on sober reflection and broader consultations in the direction of his career.

“Upon sober reflections of events in recent times and having made broader consultations, I wish to announce that I will not be part of the Ghana Music Awards scheme going forward. God bless," he posted.

During the Vodafone Ghana Music Awards (VGMA), which came off at the Dome of the Accra International Conference Centre last Saturday, there was a brawl between the camps of Shatta Wale and Stonebwoy.

The fracas started when Shatta Wale and his entourage tried to go up on the stage when Stonebwoy was being presented with his award for Reggae/Dancehall Artiste of the Year, and were prevented by the Top Skanka artiste's team.

Read also VGMA brawl: Edem’s ‘prophecy’ comes true

The fight led to Stonebwoy pulling a gun on the stage to the dismay of patrons in the auditorium and at home. Both artistes were arrested and detained by the Accra Regional Police Command.

They were put before the Adjabeng District Court on Wednesday and granted bail of GHS50,000.

Meanwhile, at a press conference today, the VGMA Board announced that the two artistes have been banned indefinitely from the scheme and stripped of all the awards they won on the night.