Court stops Volta Regional NPP election
A disqualified aspirant in the New Patriotic Party (NPP) chairmanship contest in the Volta Region, Mr George Kofi Boateng, yesterday secured a court injunction on the party's regional delegates conference scheduled for today.
The Ho High Court, presided over by Justice Eric Baah, on Friday granted a 10-day interlocutory injunction on the regional conference at Hohoe, following an ex parte motion filed by the plaintiff, in which he stated he was unfairly disqualified from the contest.
Mr Boateng, a former Regional Secretary of the party, was disqualified alongside three other aspirants for the regional executive elections by the vetting committee chaired by Mr Bob Charles Agbontor last month.
In a suit against the party, the defendant, Mr Boateng, stated in a writ dated April 16, 2018 to the court that the party’s regional and national hierarchy failed to respond to a petition he presented two weeks ago against his ‘unfair’ disqualification, prompting him to exert his right through the court.
He prayed the court to grant his application, since he would suffer irreparable damage should the election be held.
Issues contained in the writ
In an affidavit in support of the application, Mr Boateng stated that on March 26, 2018, he was vetted by a three-member committee made up of Mr Agbontor, Mr Ken Ayim and Madam Agnes Okudzeto.
During the vetting, he said, Mr Ayim asked him whether it was true he had insulted President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, then the opposition candidate, which he denied and requested for a proof of that allegation.
Mr Ayim, he added, insisted he had been informed on phone about his conduct. However, after the vetting he was asked to ballot for his position on the ballot paper and he picked the fifth position.
On March 30, he said, he read on social media platforms that he had been disqualified - and was later confirmed by the vetting committee chairman.
He told the Daily Graphic that although Mr Agbontor confirmed the disqualification, no reason was assigned.
Mr Boateng said he was ‘flabbergasted’ that the committee had taken that decision based on a mere rumour that he had insulted the President without any substantial evidence.
“Every party member who can read between the lines knows that their action is in bad faith, malicious and based on hatred and envy,” he said.
He has asked his supporters to remain calm while he pursues justice to bring victory to the party.
When Mr Agbontor was contacted on the party's next line of action, he told the Daily Graphic he had not received any injunction and that the election would come off as planned.
The other three disqualified aspirants were a First Vice-Chairman aspirant, Joseph Kwaku Wilberforce, Assistant Secretary Aspirant, Joy Kumfo, and a Treasurer aspirant, Lambert Sefadzi Ahiadzu.