Ablekuma North Municipal Assembly seeks to ensure cleanliness
The Ablekuma North Municipal Assembly is embarking on a weekly clean-up exercise to get rid of filth in the municipality.
This is in line with President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo’s vision of ensuring that Accra becomes the cleanest city in Africa.
This was among a number of consensus reached between the assembly and assembly members from the seven electoral areas in the municipality and other stakeholders in the area.
Mr Kofi Ofori, the Municipal Chief Executive, said since assuming office about two months ago, his major preoccupation had been the indiscriminate dumping of garbage on streets in the municipality.
Ghana News Headlines
For today's latest Ghana news, visit Graphic Online headlines page Ghana news headlines.
He said the practice was unacceptable and cautioned that anyone caught dumping garbage at unauthorised areas would be made to face the law.
Mr Ofori said very soon, the assembly would embark upon a house-to-house inspection of toilet facilities and urged every house to own one.
He said the government had a programme to assist every house to get a toilet facility by paying 60 per cent of the cost of construction, with landlords paying the remaining 40 per cent and urged landlords to take advantage of the offer.
Mr Ofori called for the re-engineering of most of the drains in the municipality to forestall the perennial flooding in the communities anytime there was a downpour.
He appealed to traditional rulers in the municipality to release land to the assembly to provide lorry parks, markets, community libraries and fire service stations in the various communities.
He cautioned gambling outlets in the municipality not to allow schoolchildren below the age of 18 into their centres and warned that any business centre which flouted the directives would be sanctioned.
The Municipal Co-Ordinating Director, Alhaji Shehu Awudu Kadiri, said the doors of the assembly were open to all.