One person dead, police arrest 2 in Yendi

BY: Zakaria Alhassan & Samuel Duodu

One person has been confirmed dead and two others have been arrested with an AK 47 assault rifle in Yendi during curfew hours on Friday night January 18, 2019.

The two were arrested for attempting to disrupt the customary and traditional rites being performed in line with the enskinement of the newly selected Yaa-Naa at the Gbewaa Palace in Yendi with the firing of gunshots from an abandoned house into the palace.

The deceased who is said to be in his 30s was found dead in the compound of the said house located a few metres away from the main Gbewaa palace where some gunmen started firing from to disrupt the processes of the enskinment of the Yaa Naa elect.

The gunmen since their arrest have refused to disclosed their identity to the police.

However, the performance of the rituals continued amidst drumming and firing of musketry under tight security at the midnight of January 19,2019 about 12.45a.m and the activities came to a close at about 5.30am.

Ghana News Headlines

For latest news in Ghana, visit Graphic Online news headlines page Ghana news page


The Public Relations Officer (PRO) of the Northern Regional Police Command, Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP), Mr. Mohammed Yussif Tanko who confirmed the incident to the Graphic Online said calm has since returned to the Gbewaa Palace and the entire municipality and the situation is being monitored.

REGISTER: Graphic Business Stanbic Bank Breakfast Meeting

Briefing Graphic Online on the incident, DSP Tanko said about 9.25pm on Friday. January 18, 2019 within the hours of the curfew as the rituals were about to commence at the Gbewaa palace in line with customs and tradition in the enskinment of the new Yaa Naa elect , there were sudden sporadic shooting in the presence of security from unknown gunmen from an abandoned house located a few metres away from the main Gbewaa palace where the rites were about to be performed.

DSP Tanko said the security personnel on the ground returned fire towards the said direction and pursued the shooters inside the building after the police and military had surrounded it.

"Two men were however arrested with an AK 47 assault rifle and one unidentified man believed to be in his 30s was also found dead in the compound of the said house where the firing was coming from", he said.

DSP Tanko said the two men who were arrested have since refused to disclose their identity to the police while the body of the deceased have been deposited at the Yendi Government Hospital morgue after he was confirmed dead by a health personnel at the hospital.