NaBCo beneficiaries to get preference in public sector employment
Beneficiaries of the Nation Builder’s Corps (NaBCo) would get first consideration for government full time employment, should there be employment opportunities in the public sector in the future, Dr Samuel Kwadwo Frimpong, a technical economic advisor at the Office of the Vice President has said.
This is because such beneficiaries would have the required skills and experience needed in public service to implement various government policies geared towards building of a strong economy, Dr Frimpong said.
He has therefore urged graduates to take advantage of NaBCo to gain the needed skills and experience that would position them for permanent employment in the future.
The government, he said has initiated a lot of policies focused on creating jobs and building a robust economy which would require experience and skilful personnel to take over and implement them effectively.
Dr. Frimpong was speaking to some National Service personnel in Ho during the launch of an excellence award scheme for personnel at the weekend.
Dr Frimpong, who is part of the team that developed the NaBCo concept advised people to focus on the opportunities on offer and ignore detractors whose ambition was to focus on the modest stipend being paid to rubbish the programme.
According to him, the high rate of unemployment was negatively affecting the economy of the country and for that matter something ought to be done to address the issue.
Ghana News Headlines
For latest news in Ghana, visit Graphic Online news headlines page Ghana news page
“Every year we have about 60,000 graduates doing national service. Out of this figure, only 10 percent get employment leaving a chunk of 90 percent to survive on their own,” he said.
He said the unemployment situation was high because people were not patriotic and were also not interested in volunteerism.
“We are not saying that because of volunteerism, jobs should not be available for graduates but the reality is that there is no guarantee that one was going to get job after national service.”
The maiden Ho NASPA award to be organised in July would be celebrated under the theme ‘Volunteerism, Patriotism, Dedication, the role of Graduate in Economic Transformation’.
The national NASPA president Mr. Allen Obeng Asare commended the government for implementing NaBCo stating that it would help the nation achieve economic transformation.