Yellow Sisi  waakye saga  •Business booms for other waakye sellers in area

Yellow Sisi waakye saga •Business booms for other waakye sellers in area

A week into the infamous story of the Yellow Sisi waakye at Oyibi that poisoned 53 people and killed one, other waakye joints close by remain open as patrons troop in to eat. Residents do not seem to fear the possibility of suffering similar fate, looking at how close these other joints are to Yellow Sisi.

As of 7:30a.m last Tuesday, two waakye joints already had a long queue. One patron remarked that, “oh, we are all sorry for Yellow sisi but waakye is life and we must eat”.

The Mirror visited the Bush canteen area at Oyibi along the Adentan-Dodowa road to assess the effect of the incident on resident’s eating habits and their perception on food hygiene. With the temporary closure of Yellow Sisi,other food vendors seem to have more customers.

The owner of Hajir Kitchen, Hajia Rhamatu, said she had not lost any sales but gained more because some of Yellow Sisi’s customers now bought from her.

She said initially, people were shaken and scared but two days later, everything was back to normal.

Hajia said the incident had made her very hygiene cautious as she now used disposable cutlery, nose mask and sanitisers.

A resident, Kofi Emmanuel, who suffered mildly from the food poisoning, said he believed the incident was unintentional and would not stop him from buying and eating food in the area.

He said he would be cautious where he bought food.
“She and her daughters also ate the food and were hospitalised, it is just an unfortunate incident, “he added.

The owner of All thanks to Jehovah, another waakye joint, was so busy and said she had no time to spare for an interview.

The Mirror however, spoke to a pregnant woman, Ms Akua Adasape, who was in a queue. When asked if she had no fear, she said, “the case happened about three minutes’ walk away. This place is different. I do not think food poisoning can pass through the air into the food here.”

She said she hoped the incident would create awareness of food hygiene.

One resident and a student of the Valley View University, Miss Sophia Benyiwaa, shared her concern that most small-scale food joints across the country were not hygienic and that the Food and Drugs Authority (FDA) should enforce regulations to protect the health of citizens.

“I heard the issue happened because of a mixture of stale and fresh stew. If that is the case, then the FDA has more work to do”, she said.
Despite all the media attention surrounding this case, some residents said they were not even aware of it and that they will still eat waakye in the area. Should Yellow Sisi return, some residents said they would still buy.

On Friday, January, 27, 2023, the Daily Graphic broke a story on the suspected food poisoning. The current record of casualties as reported by the FDA is one death and 53 affected. It is said the 53 persons have been treated and discharged by the Valley View University Hospital.

Yellow Sisi has also been shut down by the FDA awaiting an investigation to probe into the real cause. The husband of Yellow Sisi, in a video, publicly apologised to their customers and the general public and hoped his wife to recovered from this unfortunate incident.


Connect With Us : 0242202447 | 0551484843 | 0266361755 | 059 199 7513 |