WAFA boss appeals for patience from clubs

Author: Beatrice Laryea
Karel Brokken - Managing Director of WAFA

The General Manager of West Africa Football Academy (WAFA), Karel Brokken, has appealed to club owners and football administrators to be patient and allow the government to sanitise the system following the impasse between government and the Ghana Football Association which has resulted in the suspension of football actvities in the wake of an exposé on widespread corruption in Ghana football.

Mr Brokken also believes world football governing body, FIFA, would not ban Ghana from partaking in world football activities due to government’s intervention in the activities of the GFA.

“I don’t know what really went wrong because I hear a lot of things but definitely something went wrong. A lot of abnormalities took place so we have to accept what went wrong, clean the system and then start afresh,” he stated.

“I don’t know the details of everything so I am not going to give an opinion. I am here to do football but maybe government is right with the decisions they are taking so we should all be patient and see what will happen next,” he told the Daily Graphic exclusively after a friendly match between WAFA junior team and the national Under-17 male team, Black Starlets, at the Ghanaman Soccer Centre of Excellence in Prampram last Tuesday.

The match which ended 1-0 in favour of WAFA was part of the Starlets’ preparation towards the WAFU Under-17 Championship in Niger in September.

Mr Brokken continued: “If government was wrong, FIFA would have banned Ghana long ago but I think the communication between the government and FIFA is going well. I see Dr Kofi Amoah and his team working to fix the situation so we should all be patient."

Touching on what the club had been up to since government suspended all football activities in the country in June, Mr Brokken said: “We are just continuing working at WAFA. We just continue to train and to play games because our youth team will participate in the Next Generation Tournament in Austria from August 16-18, which is organised by Redbull.

 “There are 12 teams from different countries participating in this competition and this is the fourth time our boys are going to participate in that competition. The last time we finished sixth and I am hoping that this time they will do better,” he added.